@SunnyDays930
@dstobbie8870
@MegHom
@SparkSpringtime69
@renae149
@dawntripp1
@SurferGirl1982
@Bemybestby60

I am unable to find our discussion! I tried to close the old one (to which no one was posting), but it looks like SP may have deleted the current one instead! (I was sure I was in the inactive one!)

Can we pick back up here? I'm really bummed that this happened! I hope you will join me in this discussion as we continue on our journey.

Thank you and have a great day!
💗 Carole

Today is my new Day ONE: I gave in and drank alcohol yesterday - CRAP! (I did manage 7 days though. I just need to learn how to shut out that nagging voice and ignore this destructive impulse!

Staying home today; so:

Safe at Home Base!

001 day AF

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,539 Member
    I'm here!
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 586 Member
    edited October 16
    @SunnyDays930, So glad you found this new discussion! I've reached out to MFP to see whether they can recover our Why Sober October thread with all the postings.

I'm not touching ANYTHING going forward for fear of losing our posts again!

Have a great week!
    💗Carole
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,304 Member
    I'm here, too.

Day 22 AF today.
  • RubyRed427
    Hi Carole,
    No worries on creating a new thread. I'm sure everyone will find it. You went for 7 days AF- bravo!! With each try, like Sunny Days says, it builds "muscle memory."

I am listening to a book by Alan Carr (on Spotify) fm4mzgzom097.png

I'll listen to anything at this point keep me motivated.

• renae149
    renae149 Posts: 486 Member
    Found you all!

Full disclosure, I did have 1 glass of wine on Sunday. I purposely stuck with the box of white I had and watered it down. I seem to have WAY more control with white than red. Last night was no big deal. Back to my seltzer and lime.

The weight hasn't started to come down yet, which is a little frustrating. Hubs gives up wine but still drinks beer and drops 5lbs. I quite alcohol all together and drop .2 lbs. Go figure...

@RubyRed427 thanks for the suggestion for listening! And just think of the fever spikes, drowsiness, upset tummy's and total lack of energy you will have to help you stay motivated!!

@Walela617 the last time you had a relapse you said that it cost you $200. Was this time that costly?? I missed @SunnyDays930 comment about muscle memory, but it is totally a thing with everything in life. We are creatures of habit. Little progresses to change that muscle memory adds up over time. Don't get discouraged. This time go for 8 days!!
  • RubyRed427
    @renae149 Good to see you! I'm happy one wine didn't derail your goals. Yes, all the physical effects from alcohol are something I want to never feel again.
  • renae149
    What an inspiring turn of events @xbowhunter !! Great job for sure!!

And for you as well @chicbuc !
  • renae149
    @Walela617 I might have been able to stop at one, but I also purposely chose white and watered it down. If it was red, well, the whole bottle would be gone... and then some. :)

Last night was a bit of a struggle. Temps dropped and seltzer water with lime just didn't have the same appeal. A little something to "warm me up" would have hit the spot. I managed to stick with my mega cup of plain water with dinner. Need to find something warm to drink on these cooler nights. MAybe the lemon ginger tea everyone was talking about in some of the earlier posts? I really don't do traditional teas. Suggestions??

Even after a week of not drinking every day, I can see and feel a difference in my hair and skin. My belly is not bloated by the end of the day. Even though the scale is not going down as fast as I would like it to, I am more comfortable than I have been in a long time! And I noticed yesterday while playing with the dog in the backyard that I am moving better. The lack of inflammation in my joints is really starting to show (or feel)! And that is part of the things that keep me going.

I know most of you are well past this stage, but it amazing to me what all things alcohol does tot he body. Even though my head knows it, you don't really understand it until your body feels it.

Here's to another AF day for all! You got this!
  • RubyRed427
    Good morning !
    24 AF days
    Last night at a family event, I found it easier to order Perrier- I practiced it in my head on the way over. “I’d like a Perrier in a wine glass” I also felt less FOMO and although I wanted to have a cocktail, I am finding this new normal more acceptable to me. I’m not craving as much. I guess time does heal. I’m looking forward to day 30 which is on my daughter’s birthday. She’s very proud of me which helps me keep going.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,158 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Good morning !
    24 AF days
    Last night at a family event, I found it easier to order Perrier- I practiced it in my head on the way over. “I’d like a Perrier in a wine glass” I also felt less FOMO and although I wanted to have a cocktail, I am finding this new normal more acceptable to me. I’m not craving as much. I guess time does heal. I’m looking forward to day 30 which is on my daughter’s birthday. She’s very proud of me which helps me keep going.

you are doing amazing! :)
  • RubyRed427
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Good morning and happy hump day my Sober October friends!

Starting weight when I cut out the booze. 165lbs current weight 149.8lbs. Goal 145lbs. :)

Feeling 20 years younger! :)

Great results from all that hard work!!
  • RubyRed427
    @renae149 What a story! I am happy he didn't have that case of beer on his first sober anniversary.
    I'm also happy you and your hubby are on the sober journey too - together.

My daughter said a few months ago, "wouldn't you be concerned if I drank as much as you drink every evening?". I sheepishly said yes I would be. I would never want my kids to drink like I did!! I also have an embarrassing moment happen: a few months ago, my son's care broke down and he called me. It was a Sunday. I had several drinks already that day and I could not go and help him. So my daughter had to drive us to go and help my son... how embarrassing that I was not a reliable person that he could call for help.
  • RubyRed427
    edited October 18
    Day 26 AF

One thing that I did all of September that really helped me. In my notes, I recorded how many drinks I had, my resting heart rate and my sleep score. I won't post it all here but I wanted to post a sample of my "journal". And when I had wine, I had a venti pour, if you know what I mean.

Sept.
    4- 4 drinks 1 vodka + 3 wine 80 sleep 44% above resting heart rate (HR)
    5- 4 drinks 1 vodka + 3 wine. 75 sleep 58% above
    6- 6 drinks 1 vodka, 4 wine + 1 limoncello (threw up twice that night) 81% above 79 sleep
    7 - no drinks today◡̈ 85% below HR
    8- no drinks today ◡̈ 86 sleep score 88% below HR

Have a GREAT weekend doing anything you want!! Because I'm not drinking, I'll get a lot done and also be able to really rest instead of planning activities just so I can drink. I plan on setting up a scrapbook table and getting back to doing the crafts I enjoy.
  • RubyRed427
    @xbowhunter Happy 33 AF days today!
    I notice I am much calmer these days, too. Even when I have a stressor, I can handle it better.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 607 Member
    @RubyRed427 you are doing amazing! You are an inspiration :love: I know exactly what you mean about not being dependable. We're moms. It's our job to be able to help our kids when they call. It's one of my biggest motivators as well.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,618 Member
    I found you guys! Hoping the old post can be re-titled so others don't use it.
    47 days no alcohol. Day 48 is here and all mine to make the best of it. Loving that I have zero thoughts about drinking or not drinking all day. I let myself think about in the morning only when writing here then that's it. Today I may treat myself to a smoothie for lunch.

So way easier to be AF than moderate for me. Just takes me about a month into it for my brain to shut off its obsessive wine thinking. I really hated that. Small things don't stress me out at all now and I can't believe what a good mood i am in.

Keep going and make today a happy A F day 😊😊!

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 607 Member
    @globalhiker You are amazing, and I love to read your updates!

I'm on day 19 and really struggling with mood and starting to get into a bit of a depression. I made myself workout yesterday (Stronglifts), and I just did a 40 minute walk on the treadmill today. I'm hoping the endorphins kick in and lift my mood. I'm committed to 30 minutes a day of exercise to try to facilitate this since I've been a bump on a log for the last month.
  • RubyRed427
    Tonight, we went to a favorite local restaurant where we always shared a bottle of wine. So, my husband ordered the bottle because I told him he could, but he would have to have it alone.
    I know he misses me drinking with him. But I told him "I have goals. I am getting healthy." I had club soda. Sure, I missed that first sip of wine. But I thought of you all on this thread, and I thought I would hate to post "I drank and am back at day 1."
  • RubyRed427
    chicbuc wrote: »
    @globalhiker You are amazing, and I love to read your updates!

I'm on day 19 and really struggling with mood and starting to get into a bit of a depression. I made myself workout yesterday (Stronglifts), and I just did a 40 minute walk on the treadmill today. I'm hoping the endorphins kick in and lift my mood. I'm committed to 30 minutes a day of exercise to try to facilitate this since I've been a bump on a log for the last month.

I felt depressed too... for a few weeks. I started to take fish oil vitamins because I heard it helps with mild depression. Either that is kicking in or I'm just feeling better overall.

Now, I feel pretty calm even when I'm having a hectic day at work.
  • RubyRed427
    Hi @globalhiker Congrats on your amazing streak: 47 days!!
    So happy you found us, too!