Living The Lifestyle Thursday 10/17/24

imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 6,194 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Continuing on from yesterday's LTL about veggies but with a variation leading to the 5 food groups.
The Five: Fruits, Vegetables, Grains, Protein Foods, and Dairy. It's said that eating these in normal portions then a person shouldn't gain weight.

That's where the question takes us to what food group(s) lead you to being overweight. I suspect it's not one of the above so what food(s) do you have to shy away from to avoid gaining your weight back or continuing to lose weight.

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,194 Member
    For me it's been all about carbs and how they effect me. I learned from a blood test as a teenager from my pediatrician that my body over acted metabolically as a simple explanation to Carbs. Some 60 years later I've fought them tooth and nail all the way.

Carbs are necessary but I like the ones that aren't so good for me. The ones in potatoes, sweets and breads.When I over do them I gain and if I pull back and watch them and keep them under control which means I have to proceed very cautiously I'll drop weight off.

There's also more to the story of course. There's the over eating part of the whole equation. I hope to conquer that because the race is not over yet.
    "Burn more than you take in."

On to another day in the journey.

• Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 1,077 Member
    For me, it is overall calories. With heart disease, I follow the American Heart Association guidelines limiting saturated fats and added sugars. In general, good fats like mono- or polyunsaturated fats are no problem. Complex carbohydrates, too, are not an issue. If I follow AHA guidelines and stick to about 2000 calories (including regular exercise) I will lose weight.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 4,375 Member
    The food groups that got me overweight are fats, sugars and salt - in any combination.