October 23-29, 2024

SarahMaxx
SarahMaxx Posts: 1,981 Member
LW: 129.4
TW: 129.0

Holding my own in spite of the stress and limits on my movement. If you missed my last post, the findings from the surgery labs are there, and I have an appointment with the surgeon and the oncologist on Friday afternoon and will know more about my treatment after that happens. (I just looked to make sure that post didn't disappear, as one before it did, and I noticed that I had a typo and meant that the cancer is stage zero, and not state zero.)

It has been so hectic around here that I've thankfully had little time to get in my own head and over-worry. I did spend about 10 minutes thinking "Why me?" And then it hit me, "Why not me?" And that followed with "I just have to stay in the moment and do what is ahead of me." Today, that included driving a check down to Chevy Chase to Fidelity, only to get home to a phone call saying they have to return the check to me because of the way my name was put on it. Being called by your middle name creates all kinds of problems. Parents should never to that to their kid. So they're sending it back to me with some papers to fill out and then I have return said papers and check. So frustrating. I thought I had that checked off my to-do list!

But in the midst of all this, one of my closest friends has been admitted to the hospital. She's been battling what was diagnosed as bronchitis for months now. It gets mostly better after taking a course of steroids, but then comes right back. It got so bad yesterday that her husband took her to the ER where they stayed all day and all night. They decided to admit her, but had no rooms available. Today, she's going through a lung biopsy. So I'm not the only one dealing with a scary health issue. If they don't release her today after this procedure, I'm headed to the hospital to give her husband a break.

And since my hubby is in Texas until Thursday evening, so I'm doing everything around here that is normally shared tasks. But that's probably good because it keeps me from overthinking. After I get home tonight, I'm going to make another huge batch of cookies for one of my volunteer groups, and tomorrow I'm going to class to do what I can as a co-lead. That will keep my busy (and probably full of sugar!).

My follow-up with the surgeon and oncologist has been moved from Friday morning to Friday afternoon, but I'm glad they didn't push it to next week. Everyone was so sure this was going to be benign that they had just initially scheduled me to see a nurse practioner to have the incision checked.

Lois, I'm glad your mammogram came out fine and I hope all your other tests do, too. Sheesh, it sounds like you got good news from your all your tests. That's great. :smile:

Before I run off, here are my 7-day averages for last week. Considering everything, they're not too bad. I'm just wondering how my treatments will affect my ability to stay active.

Steps = 9,135
Kcals burned = 1,619

Replies

• GaGasheesh
    GaGasheesh Posts: 1,133 Member
    LW: 134.2
    TW: 133.8

Slow and steady is frustrating, but I'll take it.

Sarah, the findings on your surgery sound scary, but are about as good as can be for a breast cancer. Stage zero, and it sounds like they got all the margins. I'm thinking that going forward, they'll recommend some treatment to make sure it's completely taken care of. I'm so happy you found it early! That's so important . . Getting ahead of any further growth is key. That's a good heads up for all of us to take preventive steps like self examination and mammograms. It's really hard to not worry, so staying as busy as you are is best. And, I'm really sorry about your friend. Hopefully the doctors will find the best treatment for her lung issues.

Lois, itching is a good sign for your toe. That means it's healing. Glad you're also getting all the preventive checks done. By the way, how is it going with your chef? Have you been able to get some calorie conscious meals that you like?

Kelly, check in when you can. I want to hear about your trip and your NFL game. Enjoy!

Well, I've stopped taking supplements and anything else that might have calcium in it to prepare for my re-test on very high calcium levels on Nov 19. I had the DEXA, but haven't gotten any word as yet on the results. Yikes, I'm nervous about it. Colonoscopy and stomach scope next Tuesday. Mammogram Nov 9. My Oregon family is coming for a week at Thanksgiving. It will be great to see them here. Hubby and I are going overnight Friday to a small town in Idaho we enjoy with a nice golf course. Just a quick overnight trip to get in some more golf while the weather is still good. Trainer tomorrow.

• Lastchancelj
    Lastchancelj Posts: 1,350 Member
    Good morning ladies! Sarah - hang tough. Stage 0 is good...remember that.

Sheesh, they had me stop all calcium and vitamin d before I did my dexa. The docs office called last night to say they are normal. So yay again. I had one done in 2021 I think. I've been doing them since age 40 due to the amount of steroids (prednisone) I used to take for my asthma. So I'm happy that I didn't have the negative impact of affecting my bones. But I couldn't breathe without them so there was a choice to be made. So now, it's sit back and wait until the end of Nov for another routine blood draw.

So the meals I have selected with the chef is steaks (I've been ordering some sirloins from Costco - so they are good quality) and salmon. I have the salmon on Mon-Tues and the steaks the remainder of the week. One steak feeds me at least 2 times. We include sliced sweet potatoes with just light olive oil and salt/pepper...very light and zucchini mix for the veggies. I've asked for larger portions of veggies so there are ample for two servings per container (to match the protein intake). I know I should eat more fish and chicken - but I still don't like chicken (except the curry chicken salad - which is fattier with the mayo - .we have asked to keep the mayo to the minimum and hubby adds mayo on his sandwich if it's too dry. Hubby eats it on King's Hawaiian bread and I just pick at it out of the container. So I am being conscious of intake there. It's when we don't have chef meals where I can falter. Yesterday. I had to be in the office most of the afternoon and got stuck there until 5pm - which meant traffic. And I had eaten a caprese sandwich from Starbucks for lunch on my way into the office(( 11am), but nothing again until I got home at 6:30pm. I stopped at the chicken place - Raisin' Canes - and picked up two large meals (hubby and will snack on the tenders). I usually eat two pieces and the coleslaw. I waited too long to eat and when I finally got home I ate FOUR pieces and the coleslaw, sauce and some fries....but FOUR pieces, not just two. That's a reminder to not wait so long to eat!!! And somehow, the scale was 3lbs lighter today...makes zero sense. And Sarah - don't complain about only a 1/2lb for you etc. I am twice the size of you right now and not any taller. I've got a lot more to lose and deal with. For breakfast I have ordered the Kirkland Bacon Gouda egg bites and I have one package of those with my iced cold brew. Then 1/2 of one of the chefs meals. I have cheese sticks and almonds for snacks. The other day hubby was out and brought home Wendy's. Burger fries and a belly ache later. So this is where it is important for me to keep some of the chef's meals on hand. But I can't afford $200 plus groceries every week. I wish I could.

My toe is doing better. It looks like it's healing so hopefully I can get to walking next week. I see doc again on 11/5 but I can wear sock as soon as my toe can tolerate it....not yet. The morning temps are cooler at low 70's, sometimes high 60's but once you stand in the sun - ugh.