New to C25K

Options
Hi everyone

I am on week 5 of running but just ran day one of week 4 of the program. I have been taking my time and repeating as necessary.

I am also getting restarted at MFP... been around awhile but I reset my weight tracker after maintaining the same weight for a year. I lost 20lbs when I went vegetarian about a year and a half ago and then just got STUCK. It was obvious I needed to work in exercise. I stopped logging into MFP for quite awhile. So it's time for a fresh start. So far since starting C25K I have only lost 2lbs (in a month,) but I do feel a lot healthier, and that is the most important thing! I am going to have to try to keep the focus on getting healthy and just take whatever weight loss comes as a "side effect," so I don't get discouraged by the scale and give up.

I thought I was going to die week one! I was so out of shape! It was pretty humiliating to find running 60 seconds left me out of breath and that after 3 intervals my legs were killing me. I guess I should not be surprised as I was 218lbs and my motto in the past was "put a man with a million dollars in a sack in front of me and a man with a gun behind me, and MAYBE I'll run!" I am amazed at how quickly the gains come though. I ran the week one plan for 5 runs, then week two for 4 runs, and week 3 for 5 runs. So I am taking my time. I am at it every other day without fail. So tomorrow is a rest day, then Sunday will be my second attempt at the week 4 intervals. Today I made it through the two three minute runs and the first 5 minute run, but that last 5 minute run was really hard. I started walking about halfway through it. Tomorrow I hope to push all the way through!

I signed up for a 5K on Nov 2. Here in Ohio there aren't too many runs in Dec, Jan, Feb, March! So I didn't want to miss out! At this rate I'll graduate the program the week before the 5k, allotting 5 runs of each weeks' plan instead of 3, and running every other day. (So each week takes me 10 days.) I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. But I am looking forward to the challenge!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you've got a great plan. Congratulations on getting started! That's a major milestone all by itself. The November 2 date sounds completely do-able. If you have a hard time on the five minute run, try slowing down until you can complete it.