New to Keto - question

Options
jen_zz
jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
Hi all! I'm happy to have found this group. The discussions held here are so helpful and productive (as compared to so many judgmental trolls on the main forum.. )

Anyway, I just wanted to ask. I know it's "all about calories in calories out". But over the years I feel like I have poor insulin sensitivity and I tend to binge on carbs, hence why I want to give keto / low carb a go.

My question is, or rather please share your experience, whether you lose more weight (fat loss not just water weight) with the same calorie limit, but with a much lower carb count? Or you up your calories when you went on keto?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    For me it's been higher cal, but I don't know how much higher. Most recent was weight watchers. Since they do the points thing, and not calories, I'm not sure where I was at for calories.

Use the keto calculator to help figure your macro targets:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm happy to have found this group. The discussions held here are so helpful and productive (as compared to so many judgmental trolls on the main forum.. )

Anyway, I just wanted to ask. I know it's "all about calories in calories out". But over the years I feel like I have poor insulin sensitivity and I tend to binge on carbs, hence why I want to give keto / low carb a go.

My question is, or rather please share your experience, whether you lose more weight (fat loss not just water weight) with the same calorie limit, but with a much lower carb count? Or you up your calories when you went on keto?

Thanks in advance.

I used the keto-calculator that kiramaniac reco'd when I started 3 months ago. It gave me my calorie goals & macros for fat/protein/carbs. The first couple weeks I concentrated on keeping my carbs under 20. In the process, I found it very hard to eat the reco'd 1500 calories. In fact, I still have to eat what seems to me a *lot* to get to 1500!

Cutting the carbs will help naturally suppress the appetite is what I'd heard & I found that to be true. I lost cravings for starchy carbs (like bread, white potatoes, rice, pasta, etc). I still like to have something sweet but even at that, some things (like almost all store-bought 'unsweetened' stuff) is so sweet I gag. I make my own sweet treats w/ a tiny bit of Stevia powder. And some treats, like whipped Heavy Whipping Cream w/ a little cocoa powder, tastes sweet enough to me that I don't add anything.

I guess to answer your question about calories or carbs, it''s been a combo of both in my experience. After starting keto, I'm just not as hungry so I don't eat as much high-calorie meals. It's been terrific to eat in a way that I don't feel restricted because I'm not constantly feeling hunger pangs & thinking about *food* every waking minute!
  • jen_zz
    Options
    Thanks both for sharing!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I had some research laying around somewhere (maybe from /r/ketogains) that indicated that it was possible to still metabolize fat for energy in a caloric surplus as long as you're in ketosis. That makes it way easier to build muscle. I'll try to find it.
  • jen_zz
    Options
    Great! I find it so hard to maneuver around reddit!