Input on my current routine

Options
schonkreuz
schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
I started going to the gym with some guys that I know and they helped me figure out what I should be doing.Currently I am on,

Monday- Deadlift, Tricep rope pull down, Pull over (machine), End with stationary bike 16 mins

Wednesday- Chin ups (assisted with machine), Dips (assisted with machine) Benchpress, End with stationary bike 16 mins

Friday- Tricep rope pull down, T-bar Row, Squats, Wide-Grip Decline Barbell Bench Press, End with stationary bike 16 mins

Just looking for input/ ideas for new things to add if needed. Thanks!

Replies

• schonkreuz
    Options
    I think I'm going to also post this in the regular forums to hope to get more responses.
  • badgergrrl
    badgergrrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would recommend posting in the Stronglifts for Women and the New Rules of Lifting for Women groups (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-) - they're more active. (And they tend to be a lot nicer than the general forum folks.)
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    seems to be a lot of triceps, little biceps. shoulders and legs and almost no back and when do you work your core besides as an assistance muscle on some of the lifts? You need to do different exercises to the same group of muscles so that you are not always working the muscles the same way. You need to continually challange and surprise your body for it to improve.

If you can afford a trainer, do that. Most guys in the gym have no idea how to set up a real routine...all they know is what they learned in high school weight training.Your friends did not give you a complete workout plan. I would make sure you had someone who knew good form work with you at first...especially on squat days. Please note: I said most guys, not all guys. I probably should include women in that statement, but I think women get slammed enough:smile:
  • schonkreuz
    Options
    seems to be a lot of triceps, little biceps. shoulders and legs and almost no back and when do you work your core besides as an assistance muscle on some of the lifts? You need to do different exercises to the same group of muscles so that you are not always working the muscles the same way. You need to continually challange and surprise your body for it to improve.

If you can afford a trainer, do that. Most guys in the gym have no idea how to set up a real routine...all they know is what they learned in high school weight training.Your friends did not give you a complete workout plan. I would make sure you had someone who knew good form work with you at first...especially on squat days. Please note: I said most guys, not all guys. I probably should include women in that statement, but I think women get slammed enough:smile:

Unfortunately the trainer isn't an option, that's why I posted here. I really like what I am doing right now, just want to add to it. What exercises would you suggest for what is missing?
  • schonkreuz
    Options
    It wont let me edit my post to put this in but I'm adding a workout at home day Sunday so that I don't have that two day break. I'm thinking about Exercise ball crunches, Push-ups, Flat Bench Lying Leg Raise ending with stationary cycling like usual.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Look into getting on a proven lifting program. They can be found on this site, Bodybuilding.com, and really all over the internet. If you're a new lifter, you'd be better off doing a Full Body workout x3/week to start. Your plan doesn't have enough volume, has hardly any leg work, too much accessory work, and too much machine work.