Lifting and Knee Issues

Options
I am thinking about possibly starting NROLW but have a question. I have extremely bad knees and lunges and squats are just not possible (physically handicapped). Is this something I would still be able to successfully do or not?

Thanks,

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If your knees are bad to the point where you are considered handicapped, then no, I don't think this is the program for you.

In some cases, gaining strength will make "bad knees" disappear, but you'd have to visit a physical therapist first.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have a torn meniscus in both knees and I'm doing it. I found modifications for the exercises on the internet. For squats, for the first few weeks I did "assisted squats", by hanging from handles. Now, I'm doing them on my own, I just don't go down as far as other people do. I go down as far as I comfortably can and I still get sore in my legs and butt, so I know I'm working it. :smile:

For lunges, I do a partial lunge or step forward onto a box and lunge. For the deadlift, I do a partial or supported deadlift, where the weight goes just below my knees, not all the way to the floor. There are options on the internet.

You could also use a leg press at the gym and just do what your body allows.

My position is that I will do whatever I need to do to make it work. I won't let bad knees keep me from getting what I want. I just started NROL4W last week, but I've been lifting for a few weeks, doing many of the same exercises. It would be a good idea to talk with a Dr or PT about it and get suggestions.

Good luck! Friend me if you want!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I have a torn meniscus in both knees and I'm doing it. I found modifications for the exercises on the internet. For squats, for the first few weeks I did "assisted squats", by hanging from handles. Now, I'm doing them on my own, I just don't go down as far as other people do. I go down as far as I comfortably can and I still get sore in my legs and butt, so I know I'm working it. :smile:

For lunges, I do a partial lunge or step forward onto a box and lunge. For the deadlift, I do a partial or supported deadlift, where the weight goes just below my knees, not all the way to the floor. There are options on the internet.

You could also use a leg press at the gym and just do what your body allows.

My position is that I will do whatever I need to do to make it work. I won't let bad knees keep me from getting what I want. I just started NROL4W last week, but I've been lifting for a few weeks, doing many of the same exercises. It would be a good idea to talk with a Dr or PT about it and get suggestions.

Good luck! Friend me if you want!

Wow, this is a really great post!