How to Recover after a Half

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
http://www.onetoughmotherrunner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Active.com-Half_Marathon_Recovery_Tips.pdf

Half-Marathon Recovery
Jenny Hadfield

Half Marathon recovery begins the minute to you cross the finish line on race day. The key to efficient recovery and
minimizing post run aches, pains and injuries is to begin the recovery process the minute you cross the finish line.
Take 10 minutes and keep moving with easy walking. Walking at an easy pace allows the body to come down more
gradually and circulates blood back to normal distribution quantities and regions on your body (i.e. stomach for
digestion...). It prevents fainting and blood pooling in the legs that occurs if you immediately sit down post race. It also
allows your body to process the lactic acid that builds up during the race.
Within the first few minutes consume a sports drink like Gatorade Endurance to increase blood sugar levels and replenish
electrolyte levels in your system (sodium, potassium). Eating salty foods like pretzels will also boost electrolyte levels.
Within the first 30 minutes post race, eat a meal rich in carbohydrates and a little lean protein and low in fat. This
will replenish the glycogen stores depleted in the race as well as provide protein to rebuild muscle tissue damage.
Consuming fuel post-race is vital for an efficient recovery process. Delayed post race fueling can result in adding days
to the recovery process. Their is a short window of opportunity post race within 60-90 minutes that the body is very
receptive to fuel absorption. Like a dry sponge soaking up water, your muscles will refuel quickly and use the fuel to
begin healing.
Consuming carbohydrates with protein replenishes glycogen faster. For example, a bowl of rice with chicken or cereal
with milk would provide the ratio of carbohydrates to protein. Many times, it is not possible to eat due to a decrease in
appetite. In this case, you can bring a Recovery Drink like Clif Recovery or EAS or Powerbar Recovery Drink that has a mix
of carbohydrates and protein and when mixed with water is the optimal way to consume nutrients quickly without having
to eat.
Continue eating carbohydrate-rich foods for the next two days post race to adequately replace depleted glycogen stores.
Within 2 hours of finishing the race, soak your body (hips and legs) in a cold tub. Fill with lukewarm water, get in with
your rubber ducky and then add ice cubes. Normal post race swelling will decrease in cold water and speed recovery. This
sounds awful but is highly effective in recovery strategies. It is the first thing most professional athletes do post game
(pitchers in baseball) or race.
It is safe to take anti-inflammatory products like Advil 3+ hours post race when your body is replenished with glycogen
and fluid levels. Avoid taking them during or immediately after the race or long runs. These products will help reduce
inflammation and pain related to stiffness.
Continue hydrating throughout the day to replenish fluid losses.
Use the “Pee” test to monitor adequate hydration levels. If your urine is pale yellow you are adequately hydrated.
Schedule a massage 3+ hours post race or the next day. Massages too soon to finishing the run can create more soreness.
Massage can have a dramatic effect on recovery times.
Take a 20 minute nap 2-4 hours after eating. Your body at rest will absorb more readily the food in your stomach and
speed healing.
Pay attention to aches and pains post race. Most aches and pains will subside in 48-72 hours. In most cases, the time
off will allow the aches to heal. If they stick around for a week or more or grow worse, schedule an appointment with a
physical therapist or orthopedic doctor. It is better to be safe than sorry.
Take one week off running and let your body heal. Although the stiffness subsides in a few days, there is still internal
healing happening and running too soon increases the chance of an injury down the road. Cross-train easy for 20-30
minutes during the week and focus on flexibility. The general rule of thumb is to take one day for every mile to run easy
and not race. Meaning, take 26 days of easy running before racing or running hard again. Gradually increase your mileage
similar to a reverse taper.
Rest is an important component to the training and recovery process. Within the first week post race, rest days allow your
body to refuel rather than burn glycogen. You aren’t being lazy taking rest days, it is all part of the cycle of training and
racing successfully and without injury. Think of it as investing in your future performance.
Cross-training activities play a major role in the first few weeks of race recovery. They allow you to increase circulation to
the healing muscles without the pounding on the muscles, tendons and joints. Stick with activities that are low in impact
like cycling, swimming, yoga and keep the intensity low to moderate.
Listen to your body and let aches and pains be your guide. If things hurt, give it a little more healing time. Every race is
different and every recovery process is as well.
Keep a detailed log of your recovery process so you can develop a recovery recipe that works for you.

Replies

• likitisplit
    Options
    This is partly stolen from Higdon, for example: "Meaning, take 26 days of easy running before racing or running hard again. Gradually increase your mileage similar to a reverse taper."

Higdon kind of pooh-poohs the half in terms of recovery, but I know it's going to take it out of me. I'm going to finish. When and in what shape have me concerned.

And there is a lot of good info and tips that Higdon doesn't mention.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My "recovery" race is The Color Run...so I get to be splattered and painted as a means to recovery haha! Think of it as a reverse taper. I know the Higdon beginner HM program has you running 10 miles and then the 13.1 the next week, but if you look at his other programs you actually hit your high mark 2 weeks prior. I plan on reverse tapering and just then alternating a two week running pattern with a long run of 1:30-2:00, until I begin preparing for my winter off road series begining in January.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think I'm going to do
    - nothing but stretching for four days
    - yoga/pilates for the rest of the week
    - three easy 4 mile runs the week after
    - figure out a plan for the casual 5k I'm doing on Thanksgiving. Unless I decide to do the 10k.

I want to run three days a week. Probably 4 easy miles/45 minutes, 3ish miles of intervals or whatever, and a 7 mile long run
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    OK, so my triathlon is this Sunday. Here's my post-race plan:

1. Walk over to the tables of free food and eat the samples - even the bagels (gasp!). (And the power protein salads, bananas, and protein drinks.)

2. Jump back into the water and soak until I can't stand it because it's too cold. Also, get my hair wet and comb it again.

3. Once everything is loaded into my car (hours later, because I'm slow like that), hopefully remember to take some of the Advil that I store in the junk bin.

I know my triathlon is not a marathon, but I figure similar principles apply.
    And I'll be back in the pool the next day. :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm so excited for you Kathleen!!!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was jittery with excitement this morning, but now I'm doubting myself. Ah, the emotional roller-coaster.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will have a great time Kathleen, best of luck for Sunday.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Kathleen - that's to be expected. And you're on your taper too, aren't you. Breathe deeply! You'll be fantastic. Because you're a rockstar.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Excited for you Kathleen! I'm sure you'll do great! Really looking forward to reading about your tri. Please post! :)