Support please

Options
brushe
brushe Posts: 181 Member
I've been eating more now for about 5 weeks. About 3k a day. I calculated my TDEE using fat2fit at 3275. So I've been eating at TDEE-10%. Should I go to eating my full TDEE for a complete reset? I work out once sometimes twice a day. On a single day I burn about 450. on a double day about 800. Always with a HRM. Never going below 1896 calls (BMR). Workouts are T25 and lifting. 222lbs, 5'11, 35yo, and BF is probably around 28-30% based on the what they calculated with that remote control looking sensor machine at the gym I go to. Would appreciate any insight. Friend request if you'd like.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Not sure if aware of it, but the fat2fit site gives goal weight TDEE if you entered a goal weight.
    If you enter current weight as goal weight, then you get current TDEE.

Also, though they have calcs for bodyfat%, will ask for that on the BMR/TDEE calc, and display the Katch BMR based on that stat, the actual table with TDEE does NOT use it, but rather the Harris BMR. You can change the BF stat to anything and that TDEE table will be the same.

Was there much difference between the Katch and Harris BMR on the results page? If so, the table is inflated.

If currently not losing weight or inches, and you had been eating a whole lot less for a decent amount of time, also not losing weight or inches, than a reset might be useful. Men usually luck out with hormones that we recover faster.
  • brushe
    Options
    I did input the goal weight at my current weight of 222 to get the TDEE. I'll have to re-calc the numbers to see how close the Katch and Harris were.
  • brushe
    Options
    I get a 221 cal difference between the two formulas. .
    Harris-Benedict Formula
    There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 2113 calories.
    Katch-McArdle Forumla
    The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 30%, you have a lean body mass of 155 lbs., and your BMR is 1892 calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So the better Katch BMR estimate based on body comp is inflated by 220 with Harris.
    TDEE level of Mod Active is inflated now 340 over better estimate.

Even a 10% deficit would still be 306 inflated.

Does that wipe out a deficit? Even if not, it sure would make it much smaller.
    You would make great progress with lifting and inches lost, but weight loss would be very slow.

Try this for best estimates all around.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker
  • brushe
    Options
    Thank you for the insight. I'll check out the link.