healthy?

Options
Here is something I think most people fail to understand; the focus of eating clean isn't necessarily weight loss, it's overall health. Am i wrong here? I also think many people assume weight loss = health. Which is only partially true, hence why there is such a debate between the eat whatever you want crowd and the people who choose clean eating. Weight loss is a facet of health, but it goes way beyond just that.
If we assume that to be true, you simply cannot convince me that this:
Big Mac: 540 calories
is as "healthy" as this:
4 oz of grilled chicken (120 cals) 26 g protein, 2 g fat, 0 carbs
3 cups of broccoli (90 cals)
1 medium banana (100 cals)
8 oz of plain Greek yogurt (130 cals)
10 medium strawberries (40 cals)
1/2 cup of blueberries (40 cals)
for a total of 520 calories, not to mention that is a MASSIVE amount of food for one person to eat when compared to one big mac.
Sure, a Big Mac can fit into your macros, but I'll never be convinced that it is "healthy".

Replies

• conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh, You went "there" didn't you? lol. A Big mac is a pile of congealed calories laden with chemicals to make it taste "good", a "healthy" dose of fat and salt too. Game over.

We know that nutrient dense food is better for us, and feeds the machine. Anyone who wants to argue that they can take a centrum and eat big mac's to stay healthy? Can you say rationalization? Maybe for a time, but sorry--it will catch up with you some day ( raising hand!)!

To me cleaning up what I eat is about getting and staying healthy. NOT a weight loss "fad". It's an investment in me! Losing weight? That hasn't been a huge struggle to me....But I still need to lose some fat. In fact eating all the garbage for so long and then going at a large deficit below my BMR for months on end? Another huge problem! Needless to say at this point I am eating about 2500-2600 cal/day and maintaining as I reset my metabolism. Do that drinking diet coke and big macs? No way.....
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm completely on board with you. Though losing weight has been a goal for 2 years, I was using fad diets and pills and failing every time. After being hospitalized in July for a blood pressure of 220/140 (2nd time this year), I decided to eat clean. It had nothing to do with losing weight. I was afraid I was going to die because of a love of salt, cheese, dairy, and dense meats. I also started walking finally, after ignoring my doctor's request to do so since January. Lo and behold, the lack of gluten and better eating habits made me feel great on the inside. It was a surprise to see how quickly the outside reflected that.

For me, eating clean isn't about weight loss. It's about health. I agree with you 100% OP!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I would even argue that weight has almost nothing to do with being healthy. Body fat percentage does, but not weight. That is why I push people to lift heavy things (and eat clean).
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Here is something I think most people fail to understand; the focus of eating clean isn't necessarily weight loss, it's overall health. Am i wrong here? I also think many people assume weight loss = health. Which is only partially true, hence why there is such a debate between the eat whatever you want crowd and the people who choose clean eating. Weight loss is a facet of health, but it goes way beyond just that.
    If we assume that to be true, you simply cannot convince me that this:
    Big Mac: 540 calories
    is as "healthy" as this:
    4 oz of grilled chicken (120 cals) 26 g protein, 2 g fat, 0 carbs
    3 cups of broccoli (90 cals)
    1 medium banana (100 cals)
    8 oz of plain Greek yogurt (130 cals)
    10 medium strawberries (40 cals)
    1/2 cup of blueberries (40 cals)
    for a total of 520 calories, not to mention that is a MASSIVE amount of food for one person to eat when compared to one big mac.
    Sure, a Big Mac can fit into your macros, but I'll never be convinced that it is "healthy".

Hello friend. :smile:

Still, technically, I think within this group you are preaching to the choire.

Yes, for me I eat clean and it has nothing to do with weight loss. Albeit, I lost weight eating clean.

To clarify, about four years ago I saw Food Inc., which began a journey for me that hightailed my eating habits. I simply no longer wanted to consume chemicals in lieu of food, and did my best to rid myself of them. Or as Michael Pollan would say, I started eating real food, not too much of it, and mostly plants.

At the time I was not on a diet. At the time I usually only 'dieted' for special events to shed the extra 10-15 lbs that continually crept back onto my otherwise slim frame whenever I wasn't 'dieting'.

Oddly, although I didn't consider myself to be on a "diet", rather I had a total change in my diet, the extra pounds I wasn't trying to lose fell off me like I was shedding skin. Effortlessly and quickly. All while I was switching back to eating full fat foods like butter and whole milk. Anyways, I became convinced at the time that the chemicals in the food actually contributed to weight gain I used to experience. Whether they do or not, I don't know for sure. But, my lifestyle permanently changed.

I will add since I ended up here at a weight loss forum, counting calories, something I never thought I would do, an explanation for my weight gain even while eating clean. And for the most part I was still eating clean when I gained about 20lbs over about a year's period of time. But, it was not because of the food. I went through a very heavy grieving period from a substantial loss that led to depression. And honestly, aside from very little activity due to the depression, I also started using wine to make myself feel better. Alcohol has a lot of calories. And there are other reasons to drink in moderation as well. But that's another story. I add it in only to point out that clean eating didn't cause the weight gain for me.

Bottom line, yes eating clean is not necessarily for weight loss. But, it may be a pleasant side effect.