Calorie intake + toning

Options
amelo84
amelo84 Posts: 11 Member
Hi, I'm new to this group. I posted in the main board that I was scared of calories, which may have been true, but, as I'm getting more knowledgeable, I'm realizing I do need calories to survive, and I am really trying to do better. Despite this realization and my active efforts to change my diet and lifestyle, because I used the word "fear," countless people told me to seek professional help because they are obviously all doctors and are licensed to diagnose me with an ED. Anyway, I was recommended to this group by someone who replied to my post, and I'm really hoping I don't get the same answers as I did before!

I spent the better part of the last 2 years exercising every day for at least an hour (Insanity, running, you name it) and eating a very, very low-calorie diet (for the most part, would stick to around 600 calories, although I would sometimes indulge on the weekends). I was eating maybe once or twice a day, virtually no carbs or low carbs, and rarely any red meat or dairy (with the exception of greek yogurt). I realized I had a problem, I was always tired, and, aside from the initial weight loss, I have pretty much plateaued over the last year. Aside from that, I am skinny fat - don't weigh a lot (123 lbs, 5'2) but have loose, flabby, jiggly skin everywhere from years of poor dieting and lack of exercise. Oh, not to mention stretch marks, which I would love to get rid of! I would ideally like to drop down to 110-115 lbs, although what's most important to me now is getting healthy, eating normally, and toning/tightening.

Since I've only started increasing my calories, it has been difficult to consume more than 1200 or so, which equals about 800-900 netted after I exercise. I know that's not enough, and it's still a work in progress, but I'm trying to eat at last 5 small meals or snacks throughout the day and increasing my water intake. I cook and pack my breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the week in advance so that I am not tempted to eat out or not tempted to just not eat. I try to workout 5-6 days a week (Insanity, running, weight training).

Today, for example, my meal plan is:
- Breakfast: half an avocado with a soft-boiled egg; 1 cup coffee with 2 packets splenda and creamer
- Snack: homemade spicy roasted chickpeas (1 cup)
- Lunch: 2 pieces fiber one multigrain bread (100 cals) with 2 slices mozzarella cheese (120 cals), 2 slices turkey bacon (35 cals), tomato, and spring onion
- Snack: homemade white bean cilantro hummus (3/4-1 cup; no oil) with baby carrots (1 cup)
- Dinner: 8 sauteed shrimp (no oil) with half a cup of quinoa and a side salad

Last week, for example, my general meal plan was:
-Breakfast: Greek yogurt with honey (130 cals); 1 cup coffee with 2 packets splenda and creamer
-Snack: Kashi granola bar (140 cals)
-Lunch: 1 oz cod with 3/4-1 cup oven roasted potatoes, squash, mushrooms, and broccoli (with olive oil)
-Snack: homemade hummus (1/2-3/4 cup) with 1 cup baby carrots
-Dinner: spinach, avocado, tomato, radish, cilantro salad with sauteed shrimp (6-10 pieces with olive oil)

I would love some advice on what's a healthy calorie intake for me, how much I should be burning, and if there is anything else I can do to get rid of the jiggles. After 2 years of eating cleanly but not enough and exercising almost every day, I am getting so discouraged. I really hope I finally see a change in my body. And yes, I am scared that, by essentially doubling my calories, I will start to gain weight. I think that's a valid concern...

P.S. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 12 year ago and have thyroid problems. I was also pre-diabetic about a decade ago (was right on the line twice but was fine the third time I got tested). My highest weight ever was about 155, and that was in high school. My lowest weight ever, at least in my adult life, was 113 (about 3 years ago before I met my ex-bf and gained weight), although I was still jiggly then. Oh, and I'm 29.

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on deciding to make your health a priority. Please understand that none of us here are acting as health professionals, but we can definitely share what has worked for ourselves as well as many others.

Since you have come from a long history of severe restriction, it is probably going to take you quite some time to heal your metabolism and get it chugging along where it should be. It will be a long process, and you need to be ready to either throw out or ignore the scale. Commit to yourself to concentrate on how you feel and look rather than some arbitrary number on the scale. During this process, the scale will be your worst enemy (not because you will gain so much weight, but because it has a way of ruining those days when you wake up feeling great, and then step on that little box and then your whole day goes down the tubes!)

Personally, if I were you, I would back off on the cardio and increase the weight training. This will most likely make the biggest change in your body "shape". It won't make stretch marks go away, but it will fill out that saggy skin and improve your overall look. Any increase in muscle mass will also help to speed up your metabolism. Also, the goal here is not to just try to burn off everything you are eating. You are wanting to fuel your body properly and are trying to heal your slowed metabolism. Although you will probably not gain too much muscle until you get closer to your TDEE, the weight training will definitely still help (plus, it is so empowering!)

It sounds like what you are eating is healthy, you just need to increase the quantity/volume. While doing this, there is no need to look for low-fat versions of foods. Go ahead and eat the 2% Greek yogurt - no need to eat the fat free. Look for calorie-dense foods like nuts and avocados. These will help you reach your calories goals without being overly filling.

Expect to feel bloated and overly full as you increase the calories. You have been way under eating and your body will need to adapt to this new level of eating. Since you come from a history of severe restriction, I would personally just try to increase by 100 or 200 calories a day and stay there for a week or two before increasing by another 100 or 200 calories.

Have you figured out your TDEE so you know what your ultimate target is?

As far as being scared, I think most people feel this fear when upping their calories, and it is totally natural (personally, I was terrified!) Just consider it an investment in *you* and just settle in for the long haul. It will take some time, but if you "trust the process", it will work. You just have to be willing to accept the ups and downs along the way. Personally, I just committed to myself and really tried to *enjoy* the whole process.

Please feel free to add me if you need support along the way. I think you will find everybody in this group to be very helpful and supportive...