New to EMTWL

Options
LH85DC
LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
Hi all, I'm pretty new to EMTWL, and am trying to sort out how this all works. In theory it sounds simple, right? Eat at TDEE-15 or so, make sure that you net over BMR every day. But I'm still a little confused. :ohwell: I'm not sure what to put down as my activity level for calculating my TDEE, and I'm not sure whether I need to try to do a full metabolic reset or not- I'm sure that I haven't been eating enough lately.

As for activity, I wear a Fitbit and always (maybe 3 or 4 exceptions in several months) get more than 10,000 steps. My total calories burned calculated by the Fitbit is usually in the 2000-2200 hundred range, with some days ranging as high as 2700. Those are generally days where I go on a long hike or do my biking and strength routines.

As for eating, I've been aiming for 1300 since I came to MFP- before that I tried WeightWatchers for a while at a friend's suggestion (started in May), but didn't like it. I recently upped my goal to 1400, which is right around my BMR (depending on the site that I use it ranges from 1359 to 1421, with one really low estimate at 1254), but wasn't good about eating back exercise calories.

Using Scooby's workshop I get:

BMR: 1421

Light activity:
TDEE: 1954
Calorie Goal: 1661

Moderate activity:
TDEE: 2203
Calorie Goal: 1873

Do I need to do a full reset, or should I start off trying for TDEE-15 to see how that works?

I really appreciate the help, I want to make sure that what I'm doing is sustainable- especially since I'm finally starting to raise my activity levels in the recovery process from having torn my MCL!

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Since you have a FitBit you don't want to use the calculators. The gadget is much more precise than calculators.

How LNG have you been eating at low calories?

You can always try to up your calories to your cut level ( take the average of your FitBit Burns over a month) and take 10-15% off. Eat at that level for some time and see if you start losing. If nothing happens, chances are you will need a reset. Bu yo can always try the cut option first. Just make sure to be consistent and try to hit your macros.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit to calculate my tdee and I find my daily activity puts me one level above scooby. Scooby has me at about 2000 but I eat at my fitbit average of 2300-2400 and that works for me and keeps me satisfied. My average steps are about 15-17,000 So my advice would be dont just use "exercise" hrs remember to take into account NEAT and that will probably put you at your fitbit average I would guess. Good luck
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Since you have a FitBit you don't want to use the calculators. The gadget is much more precise than calculators.

How LNG have you been eating at low calories?

You can always try to up your calories to your cut level ( take the average of your FitBit Burns over a month) and take 10-15% off. Eat at that level for some time and see if you start losing. If nothing happens, chances are you will need a reset. Bu yo can always try the cut option first. Just make sure to be consistent and try to hit your macros.

^^^ Exactly ^^^ If you have a FitBit, just use that average TDEE - no need to fuss with the calculators and activity levels (I use a BodyMedia and just use my average over the past month).

As far as whether or not to do a re-set, I personally think it never hurts to start there. As long as you are mentally ready, this will get your metabolism moving again and prepare you for that 15% cut. Of course, you can always just go to cut, but at some point you will need to go up to TDEE just to remind your metabolism of where it should be.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I hadn't even thought to do it that way, oops. When I calculated my average I got 2209 calories burned over the last 30 days- right in range with the 'moderate' level for Scooby, seems to make sense.

I've been doing this on and off since May (not exactly sure what my calories were when I was on WeightWatchers since they do those confounding points, but I'm positive they were low). I'm guessing that it would probably be in my best interest to do a full reset then. I guess that I will move over to the reset support boards and try to get some advice there! Just to be sure, if I do exercises that I don't usually calculate via my Fitbit (i.e. stationary biking- only cardio I can really do with my bad knee), should I be eating back those exercise calories on top of TDEE while doing the reset?

I think I've got the basics down, now I just need to wrap my head around getting back to that calorie count for 8 weeks.