Recalculating Macros.

Options
First off, I've been doing IF for over a month now and I absolutely love it. I thank SideSteel for turning me away from my ignorant broscience mindset of eating 8 meals a day to increase my metabolism when in reality it doesn't do that at all lol. I've gained so much energy from IF and I love the freedom of IIFYM. I don't feel so tied down and I have a lot of extra time since I'm not spending 3 hours in the morning making my meals for the day. Anyway, on to the question:

I'm 23 years old, 6'3" and 207lbs. I've been focusing on a body recomposition and was wondering when I should reconfigure my macros? It's been over a month and I've definitely been noticing a lot of changes in my physique. My question is, how often should I reset my macros? Should I change them every month as I gain muscle or should I change them every 2 months or 3 etc.?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer! If there's anymore information required about me please let me know as this is my first post in this group and I'm not sure what's needed from me.

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel you need to change them? Especially as it appears from what you said what you are doing is working.

My macros have been pretty much the same for years, I just keep protein at 1grm per lb, fats around 0.4grm per lb and then adjust how many carbs I eat depending on total calorie needs.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Or if I misunderstood the question and meant when do you adjust total calorie intake....usually or me when the scale hasn't move In the direction I was intending for 2 weeks or so
  • Or if I misunderstood the question and meant when do you adjust total calorie intake....usually or me when the scale hasn't move In the direction I was intending for 2 weeks or so

I'm sorry, that's more along the lines of what I was asking. I figured by adjusting calories my macros would automatically change anyway. I guess that would be more my question though, when do I change my calories?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging - sorry, did not see this one until now.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I guess that would be more my question though, when do I change my calories?

You change your calories or your activity when the results you are getting are no longer in line with your expectations/goals. Typically the biggest adjustment is made in carbohydrates as calories come up/down.
This discussion has been closed.