Too many Carbs / Processed food....feel AWFUL

Options
I have been feeling awful the last 1 week. Due to a very tight financial situation I am eating more processed foods/simple carbs/white flour etc....I feel AWFUL, absolutely sick. I am ditching this crap...pain is no good :) I have proved to myself that I cannot eat this type of food anymore.

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Try to get who,e odds whenever possible.
    Obviously you body rebels against the processed stuff!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the stressful situation, but great job listening to your body. Whole, unprocessed foods are always best (IMO), whenever possible... Whenever I eat anything processed, I feel terrible, both physically and even mentally - I feel like I have let my body down...

Hope things smooth out for you soon - maybe you can think of things that you can make in big batches that are healthy and you can just add to them to make your meals (like a big batch of brown rice or beans - they are cheap and a great starting point for lots of great recipes!)
  • beautifulswan1
    beautifulswan1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post. Same situation here. Hope things get better for you soon. I'm going to try to stock up this weekend on healthy whole foods (on my tight budget).
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Feel better soon! I ate too much crap yesterday and feel it, back to the whole stuff!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Just as I was headed to the store to pick up some healthy choices, my car battery died. I had $140 to last us a week in gas, food and bills and I had to spend $94 on a battery. Needless to say, I got some V8's (Low Sodium) some frozen fruit and bananas from the 99 cent store, some Almond Milk, Hamburger, Beans and Sweet taters....we shall see what I come up with !!!!!!!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Just as I was headed to the store to pick up some healthy choices, my car battery died. I had $140 to last us a week in gas, food and bills and I had to spend $94 on a battery. Needless to say, I got some V8's (Low Sodium) some frozen fruit and bananas from the 99 cent store, some Almond Milk, Hamburger, Beans and Sweet taters....we shall see what I come up with !!!!!!!

Oh no...... Hope things start looking up soon!

Remember, you can make huge batches of beans and rice for less than 5 bucks... One of my favorite things to do when I was living paycheck to paycheck was to make large batches of each and store in the fridge. Then for dinner, I would heat up some rice with beans on top in the microwave, then grate some sharp cheddar cheese on top and sprinkle some chopped sweet onion on top - super yummy, filling and cheap!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

Remember, you can make huge batches of beans and rice for less than 5 bucks... One of my favorite things to do when I was living paycheck to paycheck was to make large batches of each and store in the fridge. Then for dinner, I would heat up some rice with beans on top in the microwave, then grate some sharp cheddar cheese on top and sprinkle some chopped sweet onion on top - super yummy, filling and cheap!

^^^^ Excellent idea!!! Very versatile too. Some salsa or pico de gallo added makes a great Tex Mex bowl ...very filling.

Another idea to go with the rice: roasted vegetables. Sweet potatoes, onions and carrots in the oven are FAB. roast with a bit of oil and seasonings of choice. I love smoked paprika, chipotle , sea salt : ). Can make a pan full , store in fridge to eat with the rice.

When on sale, stock up on chicken ( Bone-in is always always cheaper). FREEZE or future use. My fave way of easy prep: WraP TIGHTLY in foil with seasonings of choice and roast in your crockpot. Low for 6-8 hours. No other liquid. Just 2or 3 pieces per wrap to maintain rotisserie roasted flavor vs. steamed.

As Anitra said DRIED beans are cheap to purchase and cook. Pintos, black, etc. season them up! Can make chili with beans, tomatoes, onions, peppers, seasonings.

Creativity. Beans are soooo versatile.

Peanut butter. cans of tuna. Frozen vegetables. All of these things are fairly inexpensive and versatile. Seasonally, shop at farms or farm stands. Can pick up a bushel of " not pretty" apples at orchards this time of year for a steal. Who cares if not perfect looking? Can slice and freeze. Can cook and can applesauce or chunky apples. Just need canning jars and big pot of boiling water. Apples don't have to be pressure canned.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

^^^^ Excellent idea!!! Very versatile too. Some salsa or pico de gallo added makes a great Tex Mex bowl ...very filling.

Another idea to go with the rice: roasted vegetables. Sweet potatoes, onions and carrots in the oven are FAB. roast with a bit of oil and seasonings of choice. I love smoked paprika, chipotle , sea salt : ). Can make a pan full , store in fridge to eat with the rice.

When on sale, stock up on chicken ( Bone-in is always always cheaper). FREEZE or future use. My fave way of easy prep: WraP TIGHTLY in foil with seasonings of choice and roast in your crockpot. Low for 6-8 hours. No other liquid. Just 2or 3 pieces per wrap to maintain rotisserie roasted flavor vs. steamed.

As Anitra said DRIED beans are cheap to purchase and cook. Pintos, black, etc. season them up! Can make chili with beans, tomatoes, onions, peppers, seasonings.

Creativity. Beans are soooo versatile.

Peanut butter. cans of tuna. Frozen vegetables. All of these things are fairly inexpensive and versatile. Seasonally, shop at farms or farm stands. Can pick up a bushel of " not pretty" apples at orchards this time of year for a steal. Who cares if not perfect looking? Can slice and freeze. Can cook and can applesauce or chunky apples. Just need canning jars and big pot of boiling water. Apples don't have to be pressure canned.

This was awesome! I am taking notes. I actually am feeling 200 times better. The last 5 days I have been staying away from processed foods and I feel so much better for it. Thanks for this info!!!!!!! All your ideas are FANTASTIC!