Not food related, but what are your thoughts on Vibrams??

2»

Replies

• primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    I thought hard about getting a pair but in the end decided I didn't really like the feeling of VFF's between my toes. At the time I had bad plantar fasciitis in both feet and was standing 9 hours a day at work. My feet were killing me and I could barely walk. I ended up with a pair of NB Minimus and a pair of Merrells. After a couple of months I tried on my old shoes and the pain came back - I've now thrown out all my 'supportive' shoes. Pain that had crippled me for nearly a year was gone within a week of wearing the NB's. I notice people saying they don't fit wide feet - mine are wide and I still have plenty of room. VFF's just don't seem like a practical option for me - the NB's and Merrells are black so are pretty versatile for everyday wear. There are plenty of other shoes out there that fit the barefoot/flat criteria - usually they are some of the cheapest on the market unless you are buying big name brands that are jumping on the barefoot band wagon to make money. I also wear a pair of thin soled chucks - basically look for a shoe that has no support or padding and a flat sole that is thin and flexible.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    If you want a pair of "regular" looking shoes that feel EXACTLY like wearing VFFs, check out Merrell Vapor Gloves. I wear them for my regular kicks--super comfy and totally stylin'!
  • Wondering if anyone who has ankle issues has had success with them?I feel I need more stability because of a very bad ankle injury.
    I wear a pair of minimalist casual shoes(vivo barefoot)and ended up with plantar fasciitis from them.It's very rocky where we live.
    Once I added in some heel cushions,the fasciitis went away.
    I had bought a pair of vibrams and thought the quality seemed flimsy for the cost.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Wondering if anyone who has ankle issues has had success with them?I feel I need more stability because of a very bad ankle injury.
    I wear a pair of minimalist casual shoes(vivo barefoot)and ended up with plantar fasciitis from them.It's very rocky where we live.
    I had bought a pair of vibrams and thought the quality seemed flimsy for the cost.

My husband has tons of issues with his ankles, and they all went away, in large part because not having a cast on his foot (aka "more shoe stability") allowed his muscles to strengthen and support his ankles properly.

Plantar fasciitis is sometimes caused due to flat feet, which can often be cured by walking barefoot more (which strengthens the muscles in the feet).

It may be that you need to walk barefoot more to strengthen your feet, before venturing out onto rocky terrain.

Also, being barefoot or in minimalist shoes requires you to pay a little more attention to where you're stepping and to react more quickly to stepping on something potentially dangerous. This is a (re)acquired skill that only comes with going barefoot or in minimalist shoes.

If you're running in them, it's also highly important to make sure you're running correctly, with a mid-foot strike. Anything else is setting yourself up for injury. Also, don't switch to them from typical shoes and expect to be able to run the same distance right away.

What about Vibrams made you feel they were "flimsy"? They're designed to be lightweight and flexible, not stiff and rigid like you're probably used to. So being flexible may feel "flimsy," but as one who wears them every day, in all weather, I can assure you they're not flimsy.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    I "get" the barefoot theory and I believe there has to be merit to it. However, I tried to go minimalist (with huaraches) and developed some severe ankle pain as well as mild plantar fasciitis. I did try to work my way up to running in them. I probably didn't give it enough time, but I did try.

I didn't really have any problems before, so I just went back to normal shoes. I do try to take them off around the house as much as possible.
  • Wondering if anyone who has ankle issues has had success with them?I feel I need more stability because of a very bad ankle injury.

My husband has tons of issues with his ankles, and they all went away, in large part because not having a cast on his foot (aka "more shoe stability") allowed his muscles to strengthen and support his ankles properly.

Plantar fasciitis is sometimes caused due to flat feet, which can often be cured by walking barefoot more (which strengthens the muscles in the feet).

It may be that you need to walk barefoot more to strengthen your feet, before venturing out onto rocky terrain.

Also, being barefoot or in minimalist shoes requires you to pay a little more attention to where you're stepping and to react more quickly to stepping on something potentially dangerous. This is a (re)acquired skill that only comes with going barefoot or in minimalist shoes.

If you're running in them, it's also highly important to make sure you're running correctly, with a mid-foot strike. Anything else is setting yourself up for injury. Also, don't switch to them from typical shoes and expect to be able to run the same distance right away.

What about Vibrams made you feel they were "flimsy"? They're designed to be lightweight and flexible, not stiff and rigid like you're probably used to. So being flexible may feel "flimsy," but as one who wears them every day, in all weather, I can assure you they're not flimsy.
    I have been wearing minimalist shoes for the past 1.5 years so I am not only used to stiff and rigid footwear.
    I live in an area in Canada called "the rock"so avoiding rocky areas is not possible..it's literally everywhere.As well as living somewhere that is rural and has little to no sidewalks.
    I ended up with the plantar issue specifically from wearing minimalist shoes,never had any issues before.
    I am always walking around as much as possible without shoes on but for running,I need more support.
    Thanks for the ankle information,maybe I will give them another try at some point.
  • Tophermak
    Tophermak Posts: 69 Member
    I own two pairs, one for everyday wear. . .and a recently bought pair of spydirons for trail running. I would wear these to bed if the wife would let me. I wear them everywhere but work, (safety first) unless I have to appear more then casual and then the shoes come out.

As for being worried about how silly you will feel. You would be surprised. I get asked numerous ?s about the shoes but have never really felt silly. They are a vibrant yellow and orange as well and they do stand out but the comfort outweighs any uncomfortable feeling as I may experience.

Get a pair you will not regret it!!
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    REI is having a sale on some models. So I'm thinking about giving them a try...
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    I am fascinated to read about the connection between deeper/more stable squats and thinner soles. At home, barefoot, I can do better squats than when I go to the gym. I have wide feet with a very high, flexible arch, and I'm barefoot whenever possible and socially acceptable. I hate my gym shoes (Nikes, bought on sale so I won't feel guilty about tossing them eventually) and with such a high instep there's barely any lacing left when I go to tie them. I avoid the gym because I have to wear these f'ing awful shoes, lol!

Maybe my birthday present to myself will be some Vibrams. :)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    I never though of buying a vibram, but I work from home and I am barefoot most of the time.

This topic intrigued me to check out their website though. It also raised a question. Since a vibram shoe has individual toes, how does it work if a toe size doesn't match the vibram's toe size? I have a morton's toe , or Greek foot, where the second toe is significantly longer than my big toe. In my case it like a half inch longer. Most traditional shoes actually have the longest point around the second toe, which is perfect for me, but vibrams have the longest for the big toe.
    In fact some people have generally longer toes , others have shorter toes, but vibrams come only in one toe length for each size, or is it not?
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    I have friends with the same toe issue that have found that can't wear the VFF's. There are other shoes out there though with the vibram sole that don't have toe separation so maybe keep looking until you find something that feels right.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    never tried the, but heard good things about them, a lot of people at my gym wear them.