Do you listen to music?

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
When I run at night, I don't use headphones at all. My music is lower than a car with open windows. However, more and more, I've started to run with a single earbud during the daytime as well. I can hear my feet and my breathing as well as everything going on around me, with the pacing and inspirational value of music. (I tuck the second bud into the shoulder strap of my sports bra.)

I did a google search to see if anybody else had the same bright idea:

http://farendgear.com/xdu/

I think this is my next treat. Now I have to invent a goal to "earn" it. Maybe my 11 mile run next week?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    That sounds like the perfect HM reward to me.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I use my YurBuds when running in the pitch black at 4:30am. I keep the volume on the lowest level so I still hear everything around me. Actually, when a car drives past, I can't even hear my music or audio distance/pace cues.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    There are times I just run with one earbud but usually I use two but at lower volume.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I use both ear buds but with the volume turned low. But there is no substitute for using your eyes. As a cyclist you wouldn't believe the amount of people that walk out in front of me, just because they can't hear a car they assume it is safe to cross the road without looking first!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I use both ear buds but with the volume turned low. But there is no substitute for using your eyes. As a cyclist you wouldn't believe the amount of people that walk out in front of me, just because they can't hear a car they assume it is safe to cross the road without looking first!

I cross the road periodically (the roads I run on are pretty slanted so I have to switch it up or my body is always canted to one side) and even if I didn't have earbuds in would look - I don't trust that there isn't a really quiet car coming. LOL. I didn't even think of cyclists but I see enough of them on my runs that I should.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes but the paths I run on when it's dark are shared with cyclists and alongside the main road so I haven't bothered with music on those runs recently as I had it down that low I couldn't hear it over the traffic anyway.

I thought I'd miss it but I haven't really - plus it's one less thing to worry about as I rush to head out the door in the mornings :)