Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pumpkin Custard - It's a vegetable, a treat, & yummy!

MermaidTX
MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
I've been making this pumpkin custard regularly. They don't last long because they get eaten morning, noon & nite. Very easy to make & awesome source of Vitamin A.

I make them in silicon muffin cups & get 12 servings. To add to deliciousness, top with a teaspoon or so of roasted (in butter) pecans & whipped cream. I'm posting my revised recipe from sugarfreemom.com.

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Custard: Gluten Free & Low Carb

Ingredients
1 can (15 ounce) pure pumpkin (I like Libby's)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
4 beaten eggs (room temperature works best so the whites mix up)
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp stevia powder (not the kind w/ additives)
Optional toppings: Whipped Cream, Sprinkle of nutmeg, butter-roasted pecans

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray 6 ramekin or custard cups with nonstick cooking spray, or use 12 silicon muffin cups
In a large bowl mix together pumpkin, milk,spices, and stevia (may need 1/4 tsp more stevia if you want them sweeter so that's why I recommend tasting before adding the eggs). Mix in beaten eggs.
Pour evenly into ramekins or muffin cups.
Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. (I put my muffin cups in a large pan with water for a "bain marie" to be sure they are really smooth textured)
Remove from oven, set cups on wire rack to cool and add roasted pecans.
Best served cold. Top with whipped cream! Sprinkle with nutmeg!

Here's the link to original recipe:

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/healthy-pumpkin-pie-custard-gluten-free-low-carb/

Here's the macros for 12 muffin cups with my changes to original recipe (w/o the pecans):

53 calories
3 carbs - 2 fiber = 1 net carb
4 fat
3 protein

Edit: This really tastes like a rich pumpkin pie filling (not eggy)

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Sounds so very yummy!!

Another pumpkin recipe:

Fresh pumpkin, steamed

Process until smooth.

Add pumpkin spices.

Serve warm or chilled.

I think I'm going to add some cream to the pureed pumpkin, next time.
  • qotsagirl314
    qotsagirl314 Posts: 20 Member
    bump for later
  • MermaidTX
    Sounds so very yummy!!

Another pumpkin recipe:

Fresh pumpkin, steamed

Process until smooth.

Add pumpkin spices.

Serve warm or chilled.

I think I'm going to add some cream to the pureed pumpkin, next time.

I made a batch of this pumpkin pie custard using 1/2 heavy whipping cream (my mom wanted to take some to her ladies luncheon) -- yuuummm - much better than just with 1/4 almond milk & 1/4 cup HWC! It was a hit!
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    yum, bump to find later
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 173 Member
    Can I use 425g (15oz) fresh pumpkin (steamed and pureed) instead? I have no idea what canned pumpkin is like lol.
    I made a batch of this pumpkin pie custard using 1/2 heavy whipping cream (my mom wanted to take some to her ladies luncheon) -- yuuummm - much better than just with 1/4 almond milk & 1/4 cup HWC! It was a hit!

Thanks! I was going to ask about leaving out the Almond Milk. It's not something I usually have in the fridge.
  • MermaidTX
    Can I use 425g (15oz) fresh pumpkin (steamed and pureed) instead? I have no idea what canned pumpkin is like lol.

Thanks! I was going to ask about leaving out the Almond Milk. It's not something I usually have in the fridge.

I've been using the 15oz/425g Libby's pure pumpkin in the can.