NROLFW no cardio?

Options
Ok so this is my first post on myfitnesspal ever so bear with me please!
This is my first week on NROLFW and I am super amped about the increase in calories since I was so used to eating 1200-1400 before.
The book says cardio isn't necessary for success but I'm finding that most of you do cardio on rest days.
Has anyone had success with pure lifting and eating per the diet plan in the book?
If you do cardio, do you eat back your calories or do you use the book's workout day calories?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio on my rest days because I sure don't want to live at the gym. I try to integrate a *bit* of cardio every stage - 10 minute run on treadmill, whatever workout, and then 20 minutes of good HIIT where I've got a good sweat going and it's intense. I workout 3x/week. And I only do light walks on my "rest" days.
    As for calories, honestly, I'm still trying to find the magic number and I've been on here for over a year. 2,000 was too high for me because I inevitably underestimated my cals and was gaining fat. So far, eating about 1600-1800, depending on whether I"ve worked out, is the best for me...I would LOVE to eat more without gaining fat...I'm totally envious of some who can eat in the upper 2000s!!!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio either, other than the HIIT on the programme and I don't always do that. I don't follow the diet either and am finding between 1450-1650 best for me. I'm on stage 4 and starting to see good results now.

I am toying with adding running again, just to up the anti, though I stopped because it hurt my back
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I run two days a week because I love to run.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I've had great results with only doing the cardio that is called for in the book- I lost 14lbs throughout the program and part of the time I wasn't eating as I should. Like Cangirl, i dont like to spend time at the gym. But if you like to run, play sports, etc, do it!
    As far as the calories go, I really think it depends upon your history. If you've been eating at a large deficit for a long time, your body may have adapted to it and you may find you gain weight eating what the book recommends. I think it largely depends upon your activity level as well. If you sit most of the time other than your workouts, the cals may be too much. I found them to be perfect for me when I first started. I wasn't active other than some light walks and usual household chores on rest days. Now my TDEE has changed due to living in the country and just being very busy and on my feet much of the day. The cals are too low now.

I feel like Lou should have gone into more detail on the calories. I think many of us find that this calculator is a little more accurate. http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!