Need reminder

Options
jen_zz
jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
Hi all, sorry to be such a noob, but just want a reminder again why I need to go on keto? Don't mean to sound like a troll, but I guess the "calories in calories out" is so stuck in my mindset that even though I have been reading extensively on keto (on here, on bodybuilding.com, on reddit, etc.) sometimes I still forget why I need to lower the carb so much to lose weight.

I understand how keto "works" in the sense that it's letting your fat cells actually release the fat. I also understand the graphical explanation in the movie "fat head" where the insulin is like "beating" the fat back in the fat cells and your body's crying out for more food even though you already ate.

But if it's still about calories, shouldn't I loose weight the same if high carb or low carb just as long as I stay within the same calorie limit? Am I missing something?

Just want a reminder, or an explanation rather, so I am more motivated to keep on going this path. Thanks!

Replies

• mrsPaananen72
    mrsPaananen72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For me keto is a great way to get rid of constant hunger and cravings. :smile:
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    For me keto is a great way to get rid of constant hunger and cravings. :smile:

This, jenzenzen! Yeah, there's the whole fat-burning for energy thing, but also a nice benefit is hunger & cravings are totally under control (because blood glucose isn't spiking & dropping).

There's a lot of other good things I'm getting out of keto (like delicious food!) but benefits like years-old pains are gone, glowing complexion, etc. keeps me eating this way w/ no probs.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't need to go so low as to get into ketosis. That's supposed to be temporary, unless you feel you need to stay on it for health or personal reasons.

According to many other diets, keeping carbs under 100 is considered very healthy, and already insulin lowering. I'm not trying to talk you out of ketosis, just telling you the truth here.

I prefer ketosis, but my daughter and husband eat low carb, and do very well on that. Eating low carb, but not ketosis, it is best to count your calories, because calories in calories out is indeed true.

However, once in ketosis, it could be that calories are burned a little differently, maybe easier, I don't know. There are lots of good health benefits to going on ketosis if only for short term, like to jump start your metabolism, balance brain hormones, stabilize blood sugar, things like that.

So, what I'm saying is, if you feel like you can do LC but not ketosis, it really is ok, and in fact, excellent for your health.

If you go above 100 carbs, you should know that you need to lower your fat intake drastically or you'll make yourself at risk for gallstones and other bad stuff. Just keep that in mind if you fall off the LCHF diet. I hope you don't fall off, and find the right level of low carbs that satisfy you! Good luck!
  • jen_zz
    Options
    Thanks all for your feedback! :)
  • stayc13
    Options
    I totally agree :happy:

"For me keto is a great way to get rid of constant hunger and cravings. smile"
  • jen_zz
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    for me it's totally to control cravings and hunger, also since your burning fat all the time instead of glucose when you work out there is no, you have to work out for at least this long before you start burning fat. you are burning fat the whole time.

I have ketostix and I monitor. Yesterday I had 76 grams of carbs about 54 or so net carbs and I stayed in ketosis. I try to get my fiber in and veggies.

It is calories in and calories out. yes. and it's a matter of what works for you. If you do decide to just cut the carbs and not go for ketosis going low fat as well is probably what you want to do because your body will still be burning glucose and not fat.

the change in hormones and how you burn fuel is what makes the high fat beneficial while you're on keto. but that goes away when you are still burning glucose.

the other thing I read is why medium chain fats are so beneficial is it kind of jump starts the keto and allows you to eat more carbs and remain in keto.

It's all personal choice and they're all valid choices. but it is important to remember the different choices have different rules.
  • mo11ybloom
    Options
    Calories are not the same across the board. On a very basic level, "calories in, calories out" is true, but 2000 calories of meat, eggs, cheese, and green veggies will go much further and leave you far more satisfied than 2000 calories of pop tarts or even 2000 calories of high fiber cereal and milk. Sugar and carbs spike your blood sugar, making you hungrier faster (that old saying about Chinese food - that you're hungry again an hour after you eat it? It's because American "Chinese" food is primarily made up of carbs and sugar).

For me, the biggest benefit is that keto forces you to eat whole, natural foods instead of processed foods. Even whole wheat bread can spike your insulin just as fast as white bread, and many commerical products like bread, cereal, and low-fat salad dressings are loaded with artificial preservatives, basically chemicals, that are not regulated by the FDA, so we have no idea what their long-term effects are on our bodies.
  • jen_zz
    Options
    Appreciate all the responses. I now have more motivation to stick to it, also I have been feeling less cravings and hunger eating more fat in the past few days! So I can actually experience the positives. Too bad my birthday is coming up in next week and starting today there will be dinners and celebrations.. I'm not gonna turn down my piece of cake every occasion, but hope I will just take a few small bites and not be pressured to finish them...
  • chirosche
    chirosche Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    for me it's totally to control cravings and hunger, also since your burning fat all the time instead of glucose when you work out there is no, you have to work out for at least this long before you start burning fat. you are burning fat the whole time.

I have ketostix and I monitor. Yesterday I had 76 grams of carbs about 54 or so net carbs and I stayed in ketosis. I try to get my fiber in and veggies.

It is calories in and calories out. yes. and it's a matter of what works for you. If you do decide to just cut the carbs and not go for ketosis going low fat as well is probably what you want to do because your body will still be burning glucose and not fat.

the change in hormones and how you burn fuel is what makes the high fat beneficial while you're on keto. but that goes away when you are still burning glucose.

the other thing I read is why medium chain fats are so beneficial is it kind of jump starts the keto and allows you to eat more carbs and remain in keto.

It's all personal choice and they're all valid choices. but it is important to remember the different choices have different rules.

Beautifully said. Ditto
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Being keto-adapted (which takes 4-6 weeks on constant ketosis) means you have access to burning fat for fuel. Your cells change biochemically. If you are keto-adapted, your body can much more easily burn your fat stores than someone who is eating carbs.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I, personally.. find that if i can eat full fat cheese and delicious cured meats, im ok. I dont feel as though im "missing out" and its a sustainable idea for me.

Keto however does take alot of organisation on my part and if i become lazy i slip and give up. I think its very rewarding though.
  • jen_zz
    Options
    I'm paying for it!! We had mexican last night with some friends for my bday and I slipped and gave myself the mental excuse of bday to gorge on friggin nachos!! And enchiladas suiza.. soo much carbs and this morning I felt bloated and guess what, I felt hungry!! Even though I had like 1500 cals for dinner last night!! It's the carbs.. :grumble: now it's that much harder for me to get back on track. *rant over*