Keto/epilepsy carbs

Options
Furbuster
Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
Hi

I'm a bit confused. The info I have does not say take net carbs and I am getting conflicting information. Does someone have DEFINITE information if it's net carbs or total carbs for kto/epi

Thanks

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You're likely getting conflicting info, because there is conflict on this subject. Most, nearly all, keto diets say you can subtract the fiber. However, I did read somewhere that it's not so clear that fiber can so easily be subtracted because some fiber is digested, thus it works like carbs. Those that say there may be a problem, say to only subtract a percentage of your carbs.

I think an easier solution is to keep your total carbs including fiber, under 50, and your net around 30, and then likely you'll get to ketosis. If you don't, then cut total carbs a bit more.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Please consult your doctor. Keto for weightvlsdnis not the same regimen that is followed for epilepsy.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm doin Keto to control my T2D, so my glucometer acts as a compass to tell me when I've gone wrong.

With strawberries & raw veggies (salads etc.) I don't get *any* rise in my blood sugar. However, everything else jacks up my BG's and I can't go above 10 g of carbs per meal, even less for snacks.

This being said, I can tolerate upwards of 60 g of carbs from raw veggies without even a blip in my blood sugar. The only thing I can surmise is that once I've calculated the 'net' carbs, I'm not getting very many at all...something goofy like 5 or 6 per meal.

Which is right in line with what I can tolerate of other foods without producing a spike. My DH and I were talking last night about keto for tx of epilepsy & he'd mentioned that the requirement for this is faaar lower than that for tx of T2D, as in almost nil.

I'm not sure if he was exaggerating to get his point across & I don't know what site he was looking at when he read it either. To my mind, low carb for weight loss, Keto for T2D. I've never researched keto within the context of sz activity though.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Interesting and good to know that strawberries and veggies don't spike your blood sugar level at all! Now I'm new to keto I'm afraid of fruit since it's full of sugar and also it seems to make me crave more carbs.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Interesting and good to know that strawberries and veggies don't spike your blood sugar level at all! Now I'm new to keto I'm afraid of fruit since it's full of sugar and also it seems to make me crave more carbs.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you are. Fruit makes me crave food food food. Even though I feel physically full, I find myself rummaging around the fridge less than 2 hours later :blushing:

Even worse, I can't keep to 1/2 of a peach, plum or whatever. I've been without for so long (going on 5 months) and it tastes soooo good, I just have no control & it's all I think about. So I had to cut them out completely.:grumble:

I've found the same craving behavior happening when I eat low carb breads too :mad: So that's out for me as well. Bah.
    I finally found a flatbread that was less than 10 g of carbs per serving but I just couldn't handle it :blushing:
    I wanted more moRE MOARRRRRR :laugh:

eta: I probably have pretty stringent BG standards compared to most. I aim to see <120mg/dl 1 hour post meals and the same or less than that 2 hours post. I like to see btw 100 mg/dl to 120mg/dl (at the highest, no matter what time of day or however long PP) Sometimes it does creep up admittedly & I don't really know why, but when that happens I don't like anything higher than 140mg/dl....it puts me in a foul mood :ohwell: