Give up one food this month “forever”

You want to lose weight and ready to do it and tomorrow is the big day. You wake up the next day with a goal to stay away from all processed foods, sugars and carbs. Towards the end of the day you find yourself unable to stay away from those foods and you give in. You wake up the next day and start all over again and the cycle goes on you don’t lose weight but now you have stressed yourself out. You begin to feel that you cannot control your hunger and that you will never lose weight.

This same thing happen to me but it was a different situation. For two years I have been suffering from hand eczema, it was very severe. I have had to wear white gloves on my hands to cover up the blisters and skin that was coming off. One day a doctor took a blood test and discovered that I had allergy to the following foods: eggs (high allergy level 4), banana, whey protein, cranberries, sesame and dairy (mild allergy). He says that my hands could be breaking out from these foods and the best way to find out is to stay away from them. Each time I try to stay away from all the foods I failed, I had been eating these foods daily and all my life. Not to mention almost all the foods I liked had at least one of those ingredients in it. Hummus had sesame, some tuna has egg products, and many foods have either dairy or eggs. It seems like everything I picked up I had to put it down. Since I failed at trying to stop eating all the foods at once I decided to try another approach. I give up one food at a time and started with the one that was hurting me the most, eggs. Today the only things I still eat are sesame and dairy, soon I will be giving them up. I am happy to say that my hand has started to clear up and I am starting to think the food had something to do with it.

Well the point to this story is take things slow. Don’t wake up and think you’re going to change your life in one day, start off slow. Give up something each week or month and give it up for good. Before you know it you will wake up one day and find yourself eating healthy. Make a list of foods that could be the main reason for weight gain or lack of weight lost. Make a decision to start off with the smaller items that are easy to give up or the harder ones. Give yourself a time frame from giving up one food and then starting with the next, it could be a week to a few months. What will you give up first and why?

Replies

• imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    This is great advice. It is too hard to change many things at once. It's not fair to your body and your brain. I am eliminating is cheese this month. This means no pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. I am lactose intolerant and it makes sense to start with that. I have been substituting fries and chips with salad or fruit which has helped quite a bit.
  • aprildaguilar
    aprildaguilar Posts: 1,926 Member
    Thanks Sis,
    That is some really good advice. I am sitting here thinking of the things that cause my lifestyle change misery!!!
    I AM IN LOVE with Sugary Goodness - My Southern Roots Love IT - Its that One Thing I Find Myself wanting to lessen and then only eat rarely, not binge on mindlessly or feel that each meal requires some sweet desserty goodness!
    Dairy - I am lactose intolerant I still have some rarely I do Love Cheese laced burgers and Oooeyy Gooeyy Southern Baked Macs.
    Bread Bread Bread Bread Bread Bread the Bain of My Existance!!!

I must pick one and let it goooo let it goooo let it GOOOOO