side dishes?

Options
dinomomma
dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
My husband is a fan of the box noodle mixes, pasta roni, things like that and I would like to find some substitutions as I am wanting to change some things to exhibit a cleaner diet. Oh and sweet potatoes aren't an option either, thanks!

Replies

• seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What about a rice pilaf?
  • dustycalluna
    dustycalluna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some sort of noodle salad (warm or cold) with Israeli (aka pearl) couscous. Its bigger than typical couscous and has a delicious texture! Experiment with all sorts of different grains, there are so many great varieties
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Or a quinoa dish?
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    quinoa or brown rice cooked in broth with a touch of olive oil and some herbs may be an option. For a pasta side dish I like Eden organic rye spirals with Tosca's no dairy almond pesto.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    what about something like zucchinni noodles sauteed with some oil and garlic. IF you get a julienne peeler it is super easy and quick to make.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My husband actually requested quinoa cooked in broth as the side dish with dinner tonight.

My side dish repertoire becomes awesome in the fall:
    Brussels roasted with clean bacon-husband loves
    Or without bacon, roast Brussels with onions, garlic, carrots, broccoli, whatever and a light balsamic drizzle-husband taught me!

Delicata squash or kobucha squash or butternut squash sliced into half inch strips (think French fries), lightly rubbed with oil/seasalt, and air baked (place on baking cooling rack on cookie sheet to bake) -husband loves

Roasted fennel in a little coconut oil and sea salt. Slice thin and get brown and almost crispy. Better than chips. -husband skeptical, but best guy friend loves.

Roasted butternut squash with butter or fav oil and herbs and toasted nuts (I've just randomly tried several combinations and they are always pretty good)-I love. :)
  • fitgaltoo
    fitgaltoo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Anything in a box can be purchased at "bulk" sections of the store. Most of it tastes great with a little herbs or seasonings or your own sauce. the possibilities are endless. I recently am learnign to cook quinoa. I love it! Much better for you than wheat and a great alternative.