Ringing and or blocked ears anyone?

Options
Ringing and or blocked ears anyone? This has been by FAR the most unexpected side effect of perimenopause. I searched for a thread on this, but didn't see one, forgive me if I missed it. How do you deal with this? Sometimes it lasts for days, and then just leaves as abrubptly and unexpecteldy as it comes. Is there any treatment? I'd prefer homeopathic remedies.

Good luck to you all, it is so nice to have this group, I was feeling alone, which is totally absurd! :laugh:

Replies

• samedame
    Options
    I have had severe, constant ringing in the ears for around 14 years now. There really is no effective treatment, homeopathic or otherwise, I hate to say that, but I have done a lot of research and tried a number of solutions. I recommend searching for medications that you are on, some can worsen tinnitus (such as aspirin for example), also some foods are supposed to worsen tinnitus (such as coffee and wine). I say "supposed to" because "been there, done that" and no changes in my symptoms with whatever changes i made. There is the white noise generator, and they can create a personal sound generator that masks your particular tinnitus frequency, but so far the best method is to ignore the tinnitus as much as possible, and maybe use a gentle rain sound generator at night so the quiet does not make you insane. Other than that, low thyroid can cause tinnitus, and a couple of odd diseases, but most of us do not get better over time. Yes, I have had a brain MRI, ENT evaluation, thyroid tests, etcetera, it can be a long road. The other thing I am going to consider is accupuncture, I will let you know if I find something like that that works. I hope you will share if something works for you! Yes, it is very hard to live with this problem.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not fun! Not a problem I have often.

What I understand is that it's often caused by a blood vessel near the ear drum.

I would guess that with "us" progesterone changes, which cause balance changes in the inner ear (I get dizzy spells and am much more clumsy) change the pressure on the tympanic membrane (ear drum) ever so slightly, causing it to be in contact with or closer to the blood vessel.

I'm just guessing at the cause, but given the other middle/inner ear issues associated with perimenopause, it's that.

As I said, I don't get it often. I do get a "throbbing" sound (the same blood vessel) when I lie on my left side.
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    I have had severe, constant ringing in the ears for around 14 years now. There really is no effective treatment, homeopathic or otherwise, I hate to say that, but I have done a lot of research and tried a number of solutions. I recommend searching for medications that you are on, some can worsen tinnitus (such as aspirin for example), also some foods are supposed to worsen tinnitus (such as coffee and wine). I say "supposed to" because "been there, done that" and no changes in my symptoms with whatever changes i made. There is the white noise generator, and they can create a personal sound generator that masks your particular tinnitus frequency, but so far the best method is to ignore the tinnitus as much as possible, and maybe use a gentle rain sound generator at night so the quiet does not make you insane. Other than that, low thyroid can cause tinnitus, and a couple of odd diseases, but most of us do not get better over time. Yes, I have had a brain MRI, ENT evaluation, thyroid tests, etcetera, it can be a long road. The other thing I am going to consider is accupuncture, I will let you know if I find something like that that works. I hope you will share if something works for you! Yes, it is very hard to live with this problem.

I'm sorry you've suffered with this for so long. Mine just started with the perimienopause. I think you are right, the best way to deal with it is to ignore it. Mine does go away, eventurally. I hope yours does soon. I hope the accupuncture does the trick! Finger's crossed!
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    Not fun! Not a problem I have often.

What I understand is that it's often caused by a blood vessel near the ear drum.

I would guess that with "us" progesterone changes, which cause balance changes in the inner ear (I get dizzy spells and am much more clumsy) change the pressure on the tympanic membrane (ear drum) ever so slightly, causing it to be in contact with or closer to the blood vessel.

I'm just guessing at the cause, but given the other middle/inner ear issues associated with perimenopause, it's that.

As I said, I don't get it often. I do get a "throbbing" sound (the same blood vessel) when I lie on my left side.

Ahhhh, thanks for the explanation! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this perimenopausal problem! (not that I wish it on you, I'm just glad I'm not going crazy!) It comes and goes, and some times lasts for days. I feel like I'm underwater, and everything is muffled. Either that, or the constant tinnitus. Miserable. I hope your dizzy spells are few and far between!