One Month Away!!

Options
Hi all, just joined the group and wanted to jump in and say "HI"! I have my RNY surgery on October 14th. My husband had the sleeve surgery last October and although he had many complications (other health issues), he can finally say he's glad he had it. He's lost about 140 pounds and want to lose about 12 more. I wanted to have the sleeve, but my insurance will only pay towards the bypass (50%). I also recently found out I have Fibromyalgia, so I'm hoping the weight loss with help with that too.

Looking forward to learning and encouraging each other. :smile:

Debbie

Replies

• leuhhrae
    leuhhrae Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just joined the group as well, my surgery is on the 18th of September! I just want to wholeheartedly wish you the best of luck in your journey. You're going to do great.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I had my surgery 18 July 2013. It is a exciting but also challenging road...
    Good luck and I wish you all of the best with your journey.
    This is a great group to be part of - the support is incredible...
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to each of you with your up coming surgeries! My surgery was 9/27/12, so it has been almost a year now. Some days I can't remember what I was like before, but I sometimes look at the "old" pictures and see that "me" and think how sad I was. Having the surgery was the best thing I ever did, besides having my sons. I hope everyone's experience is as great as mine has been.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to all on your upcoming surgeries. I had mine 3 weeks ago today and it has been great. Feel free to add me as a friend. Gotta support each other on our journies.
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your support! It is so encouraging to see others already down the road and others of us ready to take the new journey. I had a bit of a scare today. I met with the PA and although I started this journey last Nov, my Dr only required me to lose 5 pounds and I gained. :( So when they made this appointment I knew it was serious. I got really strict, 1-2 protein shakes a day and lots more water. Thankfully I was able to lose the 5 extra I gained plus their 5. Now I'm going on my vacation and can't gain. She said my surgery was on hold, but because I did lose, it's back on. wheew!!

I know I need to do better for the sake of the surgery and getting the liver in shape, but it doesn't stop being hard!
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It is hard.. No jokes! but totally worth it!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    As Daisy said it is hard and a new world but so worth it! Let us know how you are doing. I had my LapBand installed on 6/28/12. And I would so do it all over again even with the few challenges I have had.
  • TheMobileMom
    TheMobileMom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Good luck ladies! I had my surgery 11/28/12 and am down 120 lbs. Before surgery I started protein shakes and cutting back on my beloved diet cokes. My surgeon put me on a liquid diet for the two weeks prior to surgery (yes, thanksgiving sucked!). I did have complications, my internal stitches came undone and had to have surgery again 1/3/13 followed by a big old ulcer in March. But everything I went through is totally worth it, because last Saturday I ran a 5K with my 8 year old. A year ago I couldn't run a mile if my life depended on it. If you are interested in more of my story, I write a blog about my experiences with weight loss surgery for the local parent magazine. Feel free to read or comment, http://www.fredericksburgparent.net/blogs/weigh-in/
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you Debby! My surgery is scheduled for 10/28. Hope everything goes well for you. Love seeing everyone's progress on here...so motivating!
  • sap9902
    Options
    I am also scheduled for 10/28/13....Hoping nothing changes that date...ie: insurance (ughhh)
  • gramsoffive
    Options
    I'm scheduled for gastric bypass on 10/21. I start the liquid diet this weekend. We are in it together!! It is really scary but exciting all at the same time.

You are all young...glad you are doing this now & didn't wait like I did. I wish I had done this when I was younger. I have wasted so much of my life being over weight.

Can't wait to get on with my life....It has to be all up from here on!!!
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Back from vacation and so good to see others so close to their surgery date! I gained 8 pounds on vacation! Ugh!! Started so well for a couple of days, then....well, you know...,. But I started the 2 week liquid diet on Monday and dropped 4.5 pounds the first day and 1.5 the 2nd day. So I feel confident I'll have the 8 pounds gone by next Thursday when I meet with the surgeon for the pre-op visit. My dr allows 1 small high protein meal a day. I've just had about 2 oz of grilled chicken with 1/2 cup of LF cottage cheese. I'll stop that probably next week and just keep with the liquids. I gotta say that stuff from Unjury is GREAT!! I had ordered a sample packet for my husband last year, but he never drank it. I just reordered the Strawberry sorbet and the chicken soup broth. I wish I had done it sooner. I go back to work tomorrow from vacation and a little concerned about what to take. I guess i will take the Adkins RTD shake for now, but it only has 15 grams of protein. Do or did any of you blend fat free soups with beans and veggies and drink that? Would that be allowed I wonder. Need to find my pre-op sheet again.

Exciting times ahead and although I waited later in life, I'm looking forward to having the years ahead healthy!!