When to best insert swim training

Options
I'm starting to structure my training a little more. Ultimate goal is a triathlon next summer. In the meantime I am training for a few 5k and maybe 10k races.

I'm currently doing Strong Lifts on Tues, Thurs and Sat. I am also following an Endomondo running training plan - easy 10k on Monday, very fast intervals on Wednesday, tempo run or fast intervals on Fridays.

When would be the best/worst times to insert some swimming?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of rest time in there, is there?

You may want to consider alternating weeks with the running and swimming. Or pairs of weeks. Two weeks run training, two weeks swim training.

You're trying something very difficult - endurance cardio training along with an intense strength training program. You really may need to sacrifice one or the other.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Swimming relies heavily on form. Given your mixed goals (strength and tri training) you might be better off with very light swim workouts on the same day as a run working mostly on technique. Other cardio conditioning should get you through a first triathlon.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of rest time in there, is there?

You may want to consider alternating weeks with the running and swimming. Or pairs of weeks. Two weeks run training, two weeks swim training.

You're trying something very difficult - endurance cardio training along with an intense strength training program. You really may need to sacrifice one or the other.

The thought had occurred. However I do have Sundays off altogether, and I sit eight to ten hours a day at work. It's not like I have a physically taxing job.

I will be keeping a close eye on myself, and ramp everything up slowly, as I have over the past year to reach where I am now. If something has to give, it certainly will, I've no desire to work myself into the ground.
    Swimming relies heavily on form. Given your mixed goals (strength and tri training) you might be better off with very light swim workouts on the same day as a run working mostly on technique. Other cardio conditioning should get you through a first triathlon.

I like the idea of focusing on form for the swimming, since I have found that my swimming endurance has been increasing even during periods of little swimming - presumably from the running. It's probably not necessary to swim a mile three times a week, or anything so extreme. Maybe just 20 to 30 minutes of drills, twice a week. Just need to find a swimming program that I can incorporate without overly taxing myself.

When I get closer to the main event, I'll be scaling back the running training, and starting a more triathlon focused approach. For now, I'm building the base on which to work.

I am definitely aware that I'm going to be working close to, or at, my limits. I will be watching myself very closely.
This discussion has been closed.