Clean eating??

Options
271lisa
271lisa Posts: 49 Member
I just joined this group and have heard of clean eating through the "Extreme Weight Loss" show but I don't quite know what it is. Can someone tell me more about this?

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group and have heard of clean eating through the "Extreme Weight Loss" show but I don't quite know what it is. Can someone tell me more about this?

It has some different definitions but for most it comes down to eating whole, minimally/unprocessed foods. My definition is "If it didn't come out of the ground or have a face, I shouldn't eat it."
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There are people who are super into this if you want to eat only Pure Clean foods, google them.

I try to be aware of what I am getting.. For me, Natural foods Organic is best of course but not always practical.

Here are my rules.

Fast foods and Pre Processed foods are out..

Say NO to ….
    TV Dinners anything with Preservatives in it, anything with flavor enhancers in it. Artificial sweeteners of ANY kind. Carmel coloring, ‘Natural Flavors’, food dye.. anything with High Fructose corn syrup are NO also, and the list goes on.. Some cut out White Sugar, White bread (Enriched bread is bad). Just get Whole GRAIN.. not necessary whole wheat but whole grain.

If you cannot pronounce the word or the chemical in your food don’t eat it.

Do not eat any Plants, Vegetables, fruits or Animals that have been genetically modified ( no GMO)

This is a good example of a Spaghetti sauce ( if you can’t make your own)
    INGREDIENTS: TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), CRUSHED TOMATOES, SOYBEAN OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, SALT, SUGAR, DEHYDRATED ONIONS, SPICE
  • 271lisa
    Options
    Thanks Nancy! That is helpful. I laughed when I read...."If you cannot pronounce the word or the chemical in your food don’t eat it." :)
  • 271lisa
    Options
    Thanks alipri! That simplifies it for me. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have a look here for reading recommendations:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1094187-reading-recommendations

100 days of real food is a good quick education.
  • 271lisa
    Options
    Thanks!! :)
  • ericasturn
    ericasturn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just joined also and was pointed in the direction of 100daysofrealfood.com WOW! I am totally moving in that direction. There are great instructions, per se, on how to make the switch, recipes and lots of information. We are making the switch and we feel so much better already.

Not eating what you can't pronounce is the best advice to get you started! It is funny though! I also don't buy anything with more that 5 ingredients anymore........ well I only started a week ago LOL!

Good Luck!
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've done clean eating for some time but got really serious with it when I got tired of the weight. Basically I would try to eat non processed food. I got tired of my weight and started tracking seriously and exercising.

Here are the basic principles. Also There are quite a few food blogs devoted to clean eating. Check out pinterest for a ton of recipes. Just search clean eating.

• Eat 5-6 small meals, everyday
    • Eat every 2-3 hours
    • Combine lean protein & complex carbs at every meal
    • Drink at least 8 cups of water, everyday
    • Never miss a meal, especially breakfast. Eat breakfast within a hour of waking
    • Avoid all over-processed foods, especially white flour and white sugar
    • Avoid saturated and trans fats
    • Avoid sugar-loaded colas and juices
    • Consume adequate healthy fats (EFAs) everyday
    • Avoid alcohol
    • Avoid calorie dense foods that contain little nutritional value
    • Depend on fresh fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins and enzymes
    • Stick to proper portion sizing
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I've done clean eating for some time but got really serious with it when I got tired of the weight. Basically I would try to eat non processed food. I got tired of my weight and started tracking seriously and exercising.

Here are the basic principles. Also There are quite a few food blogs devoted to clean eating. Check out pinterest for a ton of recipes. Just search clean eating.

• Eat 5-6 small meals, everyday
    • Eat every 2-3 hours
    • Combine lean protein & complex carbs at every meal
    • Drink at least 8 cups of water, everyday
    • Never miss a meal, especially breakfast. Eat breakfast within a hour of waking
    • Avoid all over-processed foods, especially white flour and white sugar
    • Avoid saturated and trans fats
    • Avoid sugar-loaded colas and juices
    • Consume adequate healthy fats (EFAs) everyday
    • Avoid alcohol
    • Avoid calorie dense foods that contain little nutritional value
    • Depend on fresh fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins and enzymes
    • Stick to proper portion sizing
    Is this from beach body?
    This isn't actually what I would say are the principles of clean eating. But, they do seem like good common sense principles for weight loss that incorporate some clean eating principles.
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No this is from Tosca Reno "Eating Clean "Book She came out with eating clean around 10 years ago. She also is the Editor of Oxygen magazine and has about 5 books out on eating clean.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    No this is from Tosca Reno "Eating Clean "Book She came out with eating clean around 10 years ago. She also is the Editor of Oxygen magazine and has about 5 books out on eating clean.
    I know Tosca. Hmm, didn't sound like her to me.
    I've read her often.
    But I've never read her diet book.

I guess I don't see how some are "clean" rather than good dieting sense. Again, not disagreeing, just not sure how they are "clean".

Thanks for clarifying.
  • whillowtree
    whillowtree Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello I am whillow and new to this group! Looking to see how this works.:: :smile: