Supportive gyms/fitness club in South Cobb?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm in the Austell-area and I'm hoping to find a gym/fitness club not too far that will be supportive to a very big girl trying to lose weight. I've about 100lbs to lose and I think some classes would be a good option for me to not get bored. Does anyone have have any recommendations? I'm rather nervous about public working out... so... :/

Thanks,
Heidi

Replies

• mybonnieliesovertheocean
    Options
    Oh Heidi, I understand completely. I've got 100+ lbs to lose myself. (By the way, I live in Smyrna but work in Mableton if you ever want to get together for some motivation/exercise/fun).

I went to the LA Fitness there on East West Connector... don't really recommend it. It's full of tightly toned muscley jocks and there's not a lot of fluffy girls there to make you feel comfortable.

I know gyms are supposed to be places where people go to get healthier, but let's face it, a lot of gyms are kind of intimidating, right?

I haven't looked into the Gold's Gym by the movie theater on East West, but I've heard good things about the Planet Fitness on South Cobb/Concord Road.

Just from me to you, I don't really feel like I got my money's worth from the gyms. The classes were too intense, the equipment was always being used, I didn't want to go, I had to fight traffic to get there.... I'm much happier working out at home and outside. That's probably not everyone's opinion, but it works for me. I'm just trying to say if you don't exercise yet, a gym may or may not be YOUR solution, it varies from person to person : )

Good luck!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to get motivated by working out at home. Planet Fitness is probably great for classes and only $10/month. Plus, there's that awesome Chinese place right there.
  • mrskallistra
    mrskallistra Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. Yeah I've been on my treadmill at home right now and just getting to 3mph for 30mins is a tough one for me. LOL I told my son, this proves that theory that a body at rest wants to stay at rest. ;-)

mybonnielieso, that would be awesome to get together. Maybe even do a bit of the Silver Comet one weekend?

I'll take a look at Planet Fitness. A couple of classes would be great. I work at home, so ... need some social. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm up for the Silver Comet after work on Tuesdays or early Sunday.
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of group fitness classes. If you can find a gym with decent classes, then stay there!

There are options of going to a more specific type workout.

You could try kickboxing gyms, yoga studios or CrossFit boxes. I've done all of them and, for the social reasons, I'm a huge fan of CrossFit and yoga studios! With CrossFit, you HAVE to make sure they know how to modify the exercises for you if you're new to working out. So I understand if that's not a fit for people. But I know people at my CrossFit gym who have lost 40-100 lbs! But it's pricey and can be intense to some people. Plus, one CrossFit gym can be VASTLY different than another CrossFit gym. But I know of some gyms in, like, Woodstock area, that have classes specifically for people new to working out.

Yoga is different. If you can sit cross-legged on the ground and then are able to get up, then beginner yoga classes are probably appropriate for you. But if you cant sit on the ground and get up, then a yoga class might not work for you so much.

If you like dancing, there are also Zumba options as well!

I also had a lot of fun with bootcamps!

And Big Peach Running can organize some runs - http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/pal/bprc-group-runs/
    But you're pretty close to Silver Comet, so that might be fun too!

I'm in Marietta so I'm not too sure of the workout landscape in Austell.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I've gone to Workout Anytime as a guest several times (to the point I think the management might tell me to join soon and I just might, but not while it's free for me). They have many locations but I have only ever been to the one on Whitlock Avenue. The people are very friendly and I see a very diverse group from the serious lifters to the people that haven't been to a gym in 20 years. Old, young, athletes, and the morbidly obese. Everyone seems to be welcome and able to receive support. It is open 24/7 and is $15/month with no contract. However, there are no group classes. I believe they provide personal training services.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I workout at Retro fitness off Cobb Parkway in Smyrna (Near Cumberland, same shopping center as Best Buy).
    I love it, it's clean, not always packed but when it is people are considerate. I've never felt ashamed or anything just a great place.
    They do have showers and a theater cardio room which is pretty cool.

I'm always down to workout in the late mornings as I work 3pm to Midnight. If anyone ever wants to go let me know.