What is Running Injury?

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
Researchers in a recent study defined a running-related injury as a "soft-tissue or bone injury of the legs or back that affected a runner's training (i.e., reduced distance, duration, frequency or intensity) for at least a week." http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/risk-factors-for-injury-in-new-runners?page=single

As I've increased my distance, I'm pretty sore after my long runs. Getting out of my car is a challenge - similar to leg day at the gym. The only thing that separates this from injury is whether, after an ice bath, and a roller and some sleep, I'm good to go by my next run. If I'm still a little sore or tired, etc, then it's likely I'm building up a trouble spot that will turn into a week of complete rest and rehabilitation later. Also, I'm beginning to identify trouble spots (like my tight right calf) that, even though they don't cause discomfort, put stress on everything else in my leg...so I might have a sore ankle for the next two days, or even a week.

I took my rest days as a part of C25k, but I didn't really understand them. Now I'm really beginning to understand the discipline of recovery. I'm also beginning to understand what I didn't know as a complete beginner - what a delicate art listening to your body really is. Running is as much about recovery as it is about putting it all out there on the road. Listening to your body is about understanding what "fully recovered" looks like. I'm beginning to spend as much thought on actively recovering as I did on figuring out a training plan.

One insight I would like to share: if you feel like you could do back-to-back C25k sessions, look at other ways to strengthen yourself as a runner. Stretch. Crosstrain. Build your core. Do drills to improve your form. Make a commitment to actively recovering and preventing future injuries. You will thank yourself later.

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You take ice baths??? What a freak! =P
    Running is as much about recovery as it is about putting it all out there on the road.

^this...oh yes, so much ^this.
    One insight I would like to share: if you feel like you could do back-to-back C25k sessions, look at other ways to strengthen yourself as a runner. Stretch. Crosstrain. Build your core. Do drills to improve your form. Make a commitment to actively recovering and preventing future injuries. You will thank yourself later.

I agree. There may be a time in your progression where you can work in back-to-back runs or even two-a-days...but in the first 14 weeks (or even the first year, I'd guess/generalize) is almost certainly *not* the time to do it.

Of course, my thoughts on this may just be biased by the fact that overuse injuries have done more to stall my progress than anything else. Pushing myself isn't a problem...it's my inability to hold myself back that is...well, holding me back.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm not running nearly as far as you are, but I've been surprised by how little I'm sore from my long runs. I have been doing a really long cool-down walk on those days though (a full mile) because my legs are really sore at the beginning of my cool-down walk and they aren't by the time I get home. One of the long distance runners recently made a comment on a C25K thread about why the walking intervals are important, and how the walks help break up the lactic acid built up in your legs while running, and the light bulb came on for me. My body knew what to do even if my brain didn't know why.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I always, always, always walk a quarter mile. That's a good habit that got ingrained by the c25k program.

Anything up to 6-7 miles I can do without any issues (unless I'm actually running a 10k race). 8 miles is pushing my abilities. Above that and I can be good when I get into the car, but I consider calling my husband from the driveway and asking him to carry me in the house. It's a lot more like doing leg day at the gym than going out for a nice run. However, I'm recovered for speed work after a rest day.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    SO GLAD to hear this right now... last night I looked back to see when I started C25K. It's the first time I even considered measuring progress by looking back.... I have, to date, only looked forward to see how many weeks I have left to finish. BIG SHOCK when I found that it has taken me 17 weeks and I'm beginning week 7. UGH! With your posts today, I have renewed positive outlook on it. In the beginning I had taken sometimes 3 days between runs for recovery (not to mention the 3 week hiatus waiting for stress test and results).

Thank you all for sharing! I am going to look forward, continue prioritizing recovery, and vow to not look back again until I have finished C25K and run my first 5K.:smile:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    SO GLAD to hear this right now... last night I looked back to see when I started C25K. It's the first time I even considered measuring progress by looking back.... I have, to date, only looked forward to see how many weeks I have left to finish. BIG SHOCK when I found that it has taken me 17 weeks and I'm beginning week 7. UGH! With your posts today, I have renewed positive outlook on it. In the beginning I had taken sometimes 3 days between runs for recovery (not to mention the 3 week hiatus waiting for stress test and results).

Thank you all for sharing! I am going to look forward, continue prioritizing recovery, and vow to not look back again until I have finished C25K and run my first 5K.:smile:

I'm no C25k guru, but my personal opinion is that if you need to take a few weeks off (for any reason) that when you resume, you back up a week or two (depending on where you are in the program). There's a pattern of light/heavy weeks built into the system...so I'd say to back up to the most recent "light" week and start from there.

Sorry for the off-topic...now back to the discussion of not hurting ourselves by running.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I always, always, always walk a quarter mile. That's a good habit that got ingrained by the c25k program.

Anything up to 6-7 miles I can do without any issues (unless I'm actually running a 10k race). 8 miles is pushing my abilities. Above that and I can be good when I get into the car, but I consider calling my husband from the driveway and asking him to carry me in the house. It's a lot more like doing leg day at the gym than going out for a nice run. However, I'm recovered for speed work after a rest day.

Time permitting, I frequently walk back the entire distance (although I'm only up to 2.5ish miles...week six of the program). One, it really helps with/eliminates my shin issues...and two, it's relaxing. At the very least, I'll make sure I have at least a half mile walk back and then do some stretching at the end.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I always like to do a cool down walk too. I will often leave a mile or so at the end of my distance where I can just walk home (especially on my long day, which is Saturday). I think it helps.

I haven't been stretching nearly as much as I should. I'm pretty sure a foam roller is in my immediate future as well. I have some spots that really need it.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Had to smile at this, because there are days when I have an intense leg workout at the gym and by the time I drive the mile home my legs are so sore I can barely get out of the car. Funny how it can happen that fast.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I am inherently lazy so it is no problem whatsoever for me to take a rest day lol

Although I do like running I worry that if I pick up an injury and have to take a few weeks off that I'll have trouble getting back to it afterwards so that is my focus for avoiding injury by over training!