Switching activity levels, discuss :)

Options
Bit of backgound, I'm 5ft3, 30 years old, currently at 153 (around 168 ay heaviest) and am currently set to sedentary, eating back my ecercise cals and often going over by a small amount ( > 100cals) on any one given day, but it averages out ok. I am on 1250 calories as my goal and have been on average losing 1/2 lb/week. I spent a good portion of the day on my feet, nothing strenuous, but I am not lying in bed (not til my days off anyway!). I have considered upping my activity level to lightly active, but I have a sneaking suspicion I would just drink the calories as I am definitely sated food wise, and am very partial to a drink or four, especially some nice red wine, or as my current tipple is, port (yes, I said I'm 30, going on 90 obviously!)

I doubt it's going to make a huge difference in my allowance, but I just wanted some experienced opinions on whether it is worth doing given my likely "spending" of the calories, or should I stay as is for now? Didn't get very far on the main forum when i asked, but the forums seem to be mostly for randomising atm anyways, maybe my post-timing is off :smile:

TIA!

Nikki

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What is your goal and why are you considering upping your activity level to accomplish this goal?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My general goal is weightloss. When I forst started out on mfp 18 months ago, I was just happy to lsoe weight, and whilst the dreaded "skinnyfat" was bandied about, I would still ratrher have been skinnyfat than fat lol. Now, I have found that to hit my low calorie target and still allow myself the things I want, exercise is necessary, so I am getting a little fitter as a bi-product. Any muscle definition is a bonus :smile: looking like Sara would be the bomb but I also know I'm not disciplined enough to do it ergo I can't want it THAT badly, but I do want to be back in a size 10, which I don't thinl is unreasonable.

Then, if I can find an appropriate mate that surpasses the low quality of partner I have attraced in the past, I think I'll be on to a winner. Though I don't think that has much to do with weiightloss, just throwing it out there courtesy of a bottle of red wine (see what my problem is?!)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Meh, I honestly don't think you should increase your activity level so that you can fill the extra calories with alcohol, that seems silly to me.
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    Meh, I honestly don't think you should increase your activity level so that you can fill the extra calories with alcohol, that seems silly to me.

This was also my thoughts! I wouldn't *intentionally* just use the cals for alcohol, and I have cut down a lot, but I couldn't rule it out as a possible occurrence!

So, if there was the probability that I might actually use the calories for something a bit more nutritious, would it then be advisable to up the activity level?
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Tagging, as I'm interested in the answer here (not necessarily for the alcohol additions :wink: )
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

This was also my thoughts! I wouldn't *intentionally* just use the cals for alcohol, and I have cut down a lot, but I couldn't rule it out as a possible occurrence!

So, if there was the probability that I might actually use the calories for something a bit more nutritious, would it then be advisable to up the activity level?

Well there are a couple of things....you said your goal is weight loss. To accomplish this you need to be in a deficit. The problem, as I see it, with the say that you are currently set up is the 1250 +exercise calories because quite frankly it's super easy to overestimate exercise calories burned. And then basically what would happen is you would just stop losing anything because you are, potentially, no longer in a deficit. Are you feeling that your performance/energy/demeanor is being affected by your intake now? Because that is a different matter. I haven't looked at your diary, but besides the alcohol, what sorts of things do you want that you can't fit in currently?

Okay so after all that.....I'm feeling long winded this morning.....I feel like if you genuinely WANT to do more exercise then yes, go for it. I think being active is a great way to improve one's life (and you mentioned finding a partner.....wow, being active brings WAY more quality prospects into your life :smile: ) I never think it's a bad idea to do something you love and enjoy. Perhaps you would be better suited to look at a TDEE method of calculating intake rather than the MFP method of base +exercise calories. I'm quite certain that there is a sticky at the top of this group with info on how to do this.

Anyway....I hope this helps. I just really feel like it's about making decisions and changes that are sustainable for your lifestyle and while you shouldn't *have* to give up your favorite things, using exercise as a means to only get more calories can kind of be a slippery slope, IMO :flowerforyou:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just in to say:

Port? Please don't tell me you have it with lemon and have taken up bridge...
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    By doing what you're doing now, you are:
    a) losing 1/2 pound a week.
    b) satisfied with what you're eating.

By making the change you're considering, you would:
    a) consume more calories.
    b) drink more wine.

Your goal is weight loss, which you are achieving slowly and steadily at present. The change you're considering would reduce or eliminate the calorie deficit which is producing your weight loss.

I don't understand. Why are you considering this change?
  • kaned_ferret
    Options
    Just in to say:

Nope, just straight :drinker:

b) drink more wine.

Your goal is weight loss, which you are achieving slowly and steadily at present. The change you're considering would reduce or eliminate the calorie deficit which is producing your weight loss.

The only reason I'm considering it is because you see 100000++ posts a day on mfp about "eating too little" and eating more to weight less etc! I guess I just wanted to be as accurate as possible, but as you say, my cirrent defecit is working albeit slowly (which I believe is good)

I really haven't had to "give up" anything that i enjoy to do what I'm doing so far, but I AM making choices to fit in the alloted slot, so whilst i might not have a huge bowl of icecream, i will have 50g of sorbet and be more than content. My problem has always been portion control, I like scoffing and developed a behaviour of constant eating to alleviate symptoms caused by duodenal erosions and it took me several years to realise it actually was a formed habit to essentially self-medicate (conventional meds never helped)

And the bit about attracting a partner? :noway: Sheesh I must've been :drinker: when I wrote that, no chance in hell am I interested in treading that path again :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi! SS and myself are not ignoring you =). We are hoping to get caught up on threads this weekend.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change your settings given your current progress and goals.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Just in to say:

Nope, just straight :drinker:

b) drink more wine.

The only reason I'm considering it is because you see 100000++ posts a day on mfp about "eating too little" and eating more to weight less etc! I guess I just wanted to be as accurate as possible, but as you say, my cirrent defecit is working albeit slowly (which I believe is good)
    Yeah, it sounds to me like you're doing great on your current plan. There's a lot of crazy on the forums. Slow and steady is good!
    And the bit about attracting a partner? :noway: Sheesh I must've been :drinker: when I wrote that, no chance in hell am I interested in treading that path again :laugh:
    I am SO with you on that, girl. :bigsmile: