Figuring out your daily calorie intake

Options
After looking at the support forums, the number one most common thing I come across is people not understand how much they should be eating. Below is I HOPE a decent explanation of how to figure out your goal, but MFP should be doing it for you on the site as well.

Enter your information in this calculator
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

It will tell you how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight.

If you want lose 2lbs a week (recommended unsafe to go higher), then you would need a weekly deficit of 7000 calories (3500=1lb). 7000/7 (days) =1000/day

So take your number and subtract 1000 from it to get your total amount. but NEVER go below 1200 unless recommended by your doctor.

NOW factor in exercise.

my total is 1448
if I burn 448 calories , that means i only ate 1000 calories for the day, meaning I am likely to enter starvation mode, so I need to eat that back during the day, so my GROSS calories would be 1896 (1448+448).

Hope that makes sense :)

Replies

• Hayaa79
    Hayaa79 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hey thanxxx
  • Hayaa79
    Hayaa79 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    1 question plz is this 1448 to maintain ur current weight, is including ur exercise or without exercise???
  • RadianWear
    Options
    For ME, that is my calorie intake required to loose 2lbs a week based on my height, weight, age etc. If I burn 400 calories during a workout then I eat a total of 1848 for the day.

The best thing to do is use MFP's tools to set your goals and enter your information and it will tell you the amount of calories to consume in order to lose your goal weight per week. Whatever your burn in exercise, enter that in MFP and you will see your daily allowance increase to account for that, so be sure to eat those extra calories.