bad skin on atkins/keto?

Options
hi guys

so since starting my keto diet just under a week ago i have noticed my skin has gotten a little worse. (i'm 23 and had quite bad acne in my early teens) my skin has never been perfect but over the past week I've developed quite a few spots on my chin and my pores seem to be larger. Before I started keto I was on a diet with macros set to 25f, 35c, 40p. I pretty much had eliminated all dairy from my diet as I kept reading it was not good for you but since starting keto I am eating cheese again and yogurt (which I missed so much when I was trying to do low fat! Was lead to believe that cheese was a devil food.) I love that keto allows to eat things like butter, cheese and cream but I'm fearful that my skin will suffer. Anyone had similar experiences?

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    that's interesting....I actually had the reverse response. My 44 yr old skin finally decided that it would be ok if puberty were to be over :ohwell: FINALLY..:blushing:
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Dairy can have a negative effect on your skin. Might be better to limit it. Overall, your skin should be better with good fats and less carbs/sugar...
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Dairy can cause acne. Happened to me too, broke out along my jaw line. Still having issues trying to give up dairy XD lol
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Could be dairy, but I think a more likely cause is just hormones. During these early weeks cause a lot of things to change in your body - hormones especially. These will stabilize. But for the ladies, the cycle is often affected, and certainly acne can also be impacted.

Most see skin improve, so stick it out.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Could be dairy, but I think a more likely cause is just hormones. During these early weeks cause a lot of things to change in your body - hormones especially. These will stabilize. But for the ladies, the cycle is often affected, and certainly acne can also be impacted.

Most see skin improve, so stick it out.

^this

actually my skin was worse at first but it's equalizing now. I do think it was hormonal.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's age or something, but I'm (barely) 38, but I've had the opposite effect; my skin is a LOT better. Yeah, I'm going through more soap (actually using Oxy for the first time in 16 years), but the extra oil seems to be making it softer and more resilient.