Cycling Keto

sillyli234
sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
To anyone who has done 5-6 days of keto with 1-2 days a week of higher carb-how high do you put your carbs up to on those days? Is this way of eating only for those at their healthy weight?

Replies

• Jen16226
    Jen16226 Posts: 20 Member
    I would definitely be interested in seeing an answer to this as well.

I run and being new to Keto, my concern is having the energy/stamina for my long runs and races.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    I follow a Carb Nite type approach. One evening a week (either Friday or Saturday) I enjoy a meal with some carbs, usually as a side, and a dessert. My earlier meals that day are still super low-carb. I have better success when I keep carbs less than 120 for the day. I also fat-fast the day following my carb-heavy evening to get back onto ketosis quickly.

So far in the 6 weeks I've been doing this I've lost almost 7 lbs. May not sound like much, but it's huge for me. I started keto at a healthy weight, and I've seen faster success with this method than I ever saw with Paleo. I'd actually been bouncing around the same 3 lbs for 4 months before I started keto. I can't compare my results to what they could have been had I never "cheated" though, since the longest I've gone without a carb nite has only been 2 weeks. It's possible I could have lost more if I stayed in keto, but I think that having one night a week without feeling restricted helps keep me sane.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    I carb cycle, and I think the highest I go is around 150 carbs. You can look at my diary, on Fridays and Saturdays.

My exercise strength on Sat eve and Sun is awesome!

I'm often back in keto by noon Sun, from burning off the glycogen.

I try to eat lower fat on Sats. On Sun morning I eat my regular high fat keto diet.

I guess I should also mention that I stop eating by 6 or 7 pm on Sat night. I don't know if that matters.

Good luck!!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    EPCooper, I also find keeping carbs max 100/120 is best.