Calories on keto

Options
Hi everyone

So I keep hearing/reading that calorie counting really shouldn't matter with keto. However I can't help but feel a little anxious. I'm really struggling to keep to my previous 1200-1400cal daily limit on keto but is it true that this shouldn't matter? Before keto, my breakfast would generally be 250-400 cals. (porridge, fruit, nuts/seeds, sometimes some protein powder.) everyday this week my breakfast has been around 600 cals! I have been having

2 or 3 eggs - 147-220 cals
Butter- 70cal
Some feta cheese - 37cal
1/2 avocado - 91cal
Different meats each day (either salmon, mackerel, sardines, and today I had some left over mince beef fro last night) varying between 120cal-200cal
coffee with 2 tsps double cream- 30 cal

Does this look like a good keto breakfast? I think I may make my diary public to make it easier haha. Hope you all have a lovely day/evening.

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss standpoint, calories DO matter.

I stopped logging & did not gain, but maintained for the entire time. I think the idea is that it's hard to overeat & folks don't GAIN unless carb creep happens, but it's more common to maintain I think.

I like this site to calculate my keto macros:

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

I started tracking again & found I was indeed eating what was my predicted maintenance for the 8ish weeks that I had stopped tracking & started eating intuitively.

Now that I am maintaining a 500 cal deficit per day (netting 1500 cal) I'm losing again like clockwork.

I'm 45, lost 25 but still have 15 or more to go. I'm F and 5 ' tall, if that makes any difference, and I make sure to get 10k steps per day (ala mr. fitbit) as well as heavy lifting 3 x weekly....no real cardio to speak of :drinker:

eta: yep, all the foods you've listed sound perfectly keto :wink:
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Even on keto, calories matter. However, if ya spend the first couple weeks concentrating on keeping your carbs at 20 or less, you should find you start feeling full/satisfied on less food. Some people may take a little longer to adapt if they're really craving carbs. Eating plenty of protein & fat should help a lot w/ cravings. Oh, and drink lots of water & keep your electrolytes up (sodium, potassium, magnesium).

It got easier for me to figure out how to eat after the first couple weeks.

Edit: eating lots of leafy green veggies and even avocados should also help ya feel full.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Even on keto, calories matter. However, if ya spend the first couple weeks concentrating on keeping your carbs at 20 or less, you should find you start feeling full/satisfied on less food. Some people may take a little longer to adapt if they're really craving carbs. Eating plenty of protein & fat should help a lot w/ cravings. Oh, and drink lots of water & keep your electrolytes up (sodium, potassium, magnesium).

It got easier for me to figure out how to eat after the first couple weeks.

Edit: eating lots of leafy green veggies and even avocados should also help ya feel full.

^^^^^ <
    THIS (Nicely, and succinctly put, btw).