Weight goal?

Options
Right now I have my goal weight set at 130, I am 5' 5" and age 29, I am at 136 now. Not far off, but I am not particularly concerned about this number because it is smack in the middle of the healthy range. I am wanting to get my body fat % to 20%, but I just don't see that happening with losing just another 6 lbs.

I currently do weight training 3x a week, but only have dumbbells right now. No access to the gym, I am doing the best I can with heavy lifting compound movements with 15, 20, and 25 lb dumb bells and some bands to increase resistance.

Will my weight goal need to be lower to get to my goal or just keep with this type of program? I am set to lose 1/2 lb per week, on active setting. In the past 90 days, I have lost 4 lb and 7 inches, so I am seeing progress, it just doesn't seem like my goal weight and body fat % will match up at the end.

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Do you know your current BF%? Simple math will tell you what you will weigh @ 20% BF assuming your Lean Body Mass (LBM) stay the same.

As an example, my BF% at 185 lbs was 13%. If I want to get to 10% BF by losing fat, I will need to cut to around 178 lbs. How do I know that?

185 x .13 = 24.05 lbs fat
    185 - 24.05 = 160.95 lbs LBM (everything but fat)

Assume I can maintain my LBM and and lose fat to get to 10% BF.

160.95 / 0.9 = 178.8 lbs

So, If I cut to 178 lbs.8 lbs while maintaining LBM, I will be at 10% BF.

You can sub your BF% number and current weight in and get the same answer. Just divide your current LBM by .8 to determine your weight at 20% BF.

Tom
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Do you know your current BF%? Simple math will tell you what you will weigh @ 20% BF assuming your Lean Body Mass (LBM) stay the same.

As an example, my BF% at 185 lbs was 13%. If I want to get to 10% BF by losing fat, I will need to cut to around 178 lbs. How do I know that?

185 x .13 = 24.05 lbs fat
    185 - 24.05 = 160.95 lbs LBM (everything but fat)

Assume I can maintain my LBM and and lose fat to get to 10% BF.

160.95 / 0.9 = 178.8 lbs

So, If I cut to 178 lbs.8 lbs while maintaining LBM, I will be at 10% BF.

You can sub your BF% number and current weight in and get the same answer. Just divide your current LBM by .8 to determine your weight at 20% BF.

Tom

^^^ what the *kitten* said.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Thank you Tom. Fat2fit gives me an estimate of 24.9% using all 3 calculators and averaging. Their estimated goal weight wad 130 a few months ago, now it shows 128, I guess that means they assume I lost 2 lbs of LBM.

To be honest I don't think this is right, I feel... bigger than 25%. I'm working on getting a more accurate estimate.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Thank you Tom. Fat2fit gives me an estimate of 24.9% using all 3 calculators and averaging. Their estimated goal weight wad 130 a few months ago, now it shows 128, I guess that means they assume I lost 2 lbs of LBM.

To be honest I don't think this is right, I feel... bigger than 25%. I'm working on getting a more accurate estimate.

Something like a DEXA scan of a bodpod is supposed to be pretty close. Everything else has pretty big margins of error. I have a BIA scale which isn't very accurate either but what I like to do it take a week's worth of daily readings and average it out, it gives me a pretty reasonable, realistic figure I think.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Something like a DEXA scan of a bodpod is supposed to be pretty close. Everything else has pretty big margins of error. I have a BIA scale which isn't very accurate either but what I like to do it take a week's worth of daily readings and average it out, it gives me a pretty reasonable, realistic figure I think.

Thats a good idea. I have been tracking it with the same method since I started, so I know it is going down. I just don't know "where" I am now. Dexa is too expensive here. I am looking for a bod pod close to me. In your experience, are calipers fairly accurate? There is a fitness place near me that I can have a caliper reading or one of those handheld BIA things.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you want us to estimate your body fat %, you can post in this thread (read the OP for the pics we would need).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/826435-bodyfat-estimation-thread