Squats - *kitten* to grass, or parallel with more weight?

Options
Your friendly neighborhood stupid question asker, back again, this time with questions on squats.

Which would result in greater strength gains - *kitten* to grass squats with a lighter weight, or just past parallel with heavier weight?

And more generally, what's the difference between the two in terms of how they work your body? Does *kitten* to grass engage more muscles, or just require greater power and control?

Is either one more likely to result in injury?

Just to remind - my goal is greater strength to body weight ratio. Hypertrophy is secondary, as is merely looking impressive at the gym.

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    In for responses. I have wondered this too. I think, but don't know, that *kitten* to grass may lead to some extra wear on my aging knees.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I squat *kitten* to grass. I find the tendonitis in my knees flares up if I squat only to parallel, even without any weight. I have no problems with squatting heavy below parallel. My 2 cents.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I think (I could be wrong) that if you squat *kitten* to grass while keeping proper form (knees not going past your toes) that you work your booty more than you would if you stayed parallel.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I would also think it depends on the type of squat (Sara/SS, correct me if I'm wrong).
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing high-bar back squats, but after a bit of reading around I'm considering switching to low-bar.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Squat as low as you can while maintaining good form, be that parallel, slightly below or a2g.

If you powerlift, then just make sure you hit parallel.
    I'm currently doing high-bar back squats, but after a bit of reading around I'm considering switching to low-bar.

You won't be able to get a2g in a low bar squat.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Bump
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

Did not know this. No wonder I get stuck on A2G on low bar. Gonna try front squats next time.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

Did not know this. No wonder I get stuck on A2G on low bar. Gonna try front squats next time.
    Me neither. Glad to read this; I've been getting stuck too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^yep.

The farther forward you lean (front --> high bar --> low bar) the harder it is to go low. The issue is if you go too low on low bar (or any squat) for your flexibility/levers, you can end up with pelvic tilt which can put a lot of stress on your back.

Basically - for strength you pretty much lift as much as you can. That is usually low bar (but there are exceptions, of which I am one) and that is also generally not A2G.

http://stronglifts.com/how-deep-should-you-squat-anyway/

Quote from Rippetoe:

"Squat depth is critically important, but so is correct form. ATG-level depth most usually requires that the lumbar muscles relax the lordosis and that the hamstrings relax before extreme depth can be reached. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me that anything be relaxed in a deep squat, since doing this kills your good controlled rebound out of the bottom and risks your intervertebral discs. Those rare individuals that can obtain *kitten*-to-ankles depth without relaxing anything might be able to get away with it, but as a general rule you should squat as deep as you can with a hard-arched lower back and tight hamstings and adductors. This depth will be below parallel, but it will not usually be "ATG"."
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I do low-bar. I go until the top of my thigh is parallel with the ground. Anything lower causes butt-wink.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    So consensus seems to be low-bar squats, squatting past parallel, but not so low that the hamstrings must relax. Got it!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Bump to have in my notes.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    focuses on different muscles.

I.E. the upper half of a movement of a military press works tris, the lower half is shoulders
    A2G will build up hams and *kitten*.

Many people notice less strain on their knees, despite the BS myth that a2g is bad for your knees
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    My shoulders are So. Damn. Grateful. for this thread. Parallel + Low bar = No more bruises.
    :flowerforyou: