how many calories on keto?

Hi everyone

I just started keto on monday and have to say I LOVE it! I have tried playing around with my macros so much over the past few months with very little results. The only thing I had never tried is very high fat (like most of society I believed this meant obesity and heart attack)..only been 5 days but already can't believe how naive I was! Before monday I hadn't eaten cheese, cream, full fat yogurt or red meat in over a year. If I had some nuts with breakfast, I wouldn't then have an oily fish or some avocado for lunch...madness!
Anyhoo... I was just wondering how many calories I should be eating considering the amount I exercise. I workout 5 days a week and wear a heart rate monitor watch. The minimum I will burn each workout is 600cals but sometimes it can be as high as 900cals. 1 day a week I sort of treat as an "active rest day" so many go for a hike or something, and sundays is my total slob out lazy day. Considering this, should I be eating back any of those calories? And are there certain foods that are more recommended when working out 5-6x a week? I try to eat between 12-1400, does this sound enough?
I'm 21, 5ft5, currently around 148Ibs.
thank you in advance for any answers!

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Hi everyone

I just started keto on monday and have to say I LOVE it! I have tried playing around with my macros so much over the past few months with very little results. The only thing I had never tried is very high fat (like most of society I believed this meant obesity and heart attack)..only been 5 days but already can't believe how naive I was! Before monday I hadn't eaten cheese, cream, full fat yogurt or red meat in over a year. If I had some nuts with breakfast, I wouldn't then have an oily fish or some avocado for lunch...madness!
    Anyhoo... I was just wondering how many calories I should be eating considering the amount I exercise. I workout 5 days a week and wear a heart rate monitor watch. The minimum I will burn each workout is 600cals but sometimes it can be as high as 900cals. 1 day a week I sort of treat as an "active rest day" so many go for a hike or something, and sundays is my total slob out lazy day. Considering this, should I be eating back any of those calories? And are there certain foods that are more recommended when working out 5-6x a week? I try to eat between 12-1400, does this sound enough?
    I'm 21, 5ft5, currently around 148Ibs.
    thank you in advance for any answers!

I used the keto calculator to figure out what my caloric intake & macros should be:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Then you can setup MFP for those:

http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    I eat keto until I'm full, then stop. It was really helpful for me to *not* count calories in the very beginning of my ketogenic journey, just get used to eating the right food and making the right choices. My girlfriend can eat 4000 calories on a regular diet, but when she's doing keto, she's lucky if she can stuff herself with 1000 in a day. Your body will figure it out. Worry about the macros first. Get enough protein, fill up with fat and you're golden. It's hard for the body to convert dietary fat to body fat in the absence of sugar.