Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

having a hard time ageing

brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
I turned 60 this year and have lost 40 pounds and realizing I don't look like I did when I was 35, cant wear the short clothes any more and I just got back from the beach and noticed in pictures I look flabby in the arms, little bit in the neck, boobs drooping. Oh it seems to have happened overnight especially cellulite in my arm,even a little in lower arm. I guess it is the weight loss and aging. I go to the gym 3 times a week and work out but I think it is really an age thing.

Do any of ya nitpick yourself. I should be glad that I have lost the weight and I cannot help ageing. I guess turning 60 has devasted me. But it feels good to wear my clothes now and am sure I will have to accept aging but it is not easy but better than ageing and fat!

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    I know how you feel. Since losing weight the skin doesn't snap back like it used to do. I look as though I need ironing to smooth me out.

That being said, living in the uk with uk weather I can keep myself mainly covered for most of the year. I refuse to dress my age. I suppose I buy what I want clothes wise but I love it. I do far more exercise than I should but feel 20 years younger for all this than I did.

All in all I am loving life (no more getting up for work) I can do what I want when I want and I think my new passtime is clothes shopping. I spend far too much on clothes. I think 60 is the new 40. People today do not look 60 nor I think if they keep fit, feel it.

Enjoy the new you. Buy the clothes you want to buy (I agree to not wearing the short ones anymore, there is a limit) but within reason you can get away with a lot and just go out there and flaunt that new figure of yours. In other words enjoy your hard work. You have earned it. I am 62 by the way.
  • Cathy50irene
    Cathy50irene Posts: 3 Member
    Aging is hard on me also. Like you I would really enjoy feeling pretty and light on my toes again. And sometimes I do until I look in the mirror or can't bend over my own tummy.. But I have to say there is also some relief in being at a point where it is ok just to be me. No one expects me to be anything more than what I am now- so when I can bust out a bit it is more fun and more unexpected! I have always wanted to be eccentric in my old age. I am hoping that getting my weight under control will give me the courage to do just that. I lost my husband to cancer December of 2011 so I am learning to cook for one and do things on my own for the first time in my life, and eating has always been my comfort, but I feel I am ready to work to turn that cycle around. It will be nice to have some friends along the way who are fighting the same kinds of age related issues I am.

You are inspiring in your weight loss success, and all that excercising, you must be so proud. I have read that eating healthy and drinking plenty of water will help overtime with the sagging that comes with large and quick drops of weight. I wish you a celebration every day for the healthy things you are doing for yourself and the success you have had. And if your cute short skirt needs an added flounce for comfort? I say wear it with pride! Even movie stars get to dress to hid the things about their bodies that bug them. And you have so much to be proud of.
  • My concern about ageing wasn't about flab but the thought of not being totally mobile......arthritis and that kind of thing. So I decided to concentrate on exercise and eating well. For 5 years my husband, JB.. has had an aneurism on his artery (its like a little blister) and if it doesn't grow all is well it stays there. If it grows (and his is measured every 6 months) then after a certain size it is essential to remove it as it can become life threatening. So last November his surgeon said he would operate in February but within that 3 months he would like JB to lose 15-20 kilos i.e. bet ween 33 -44lbs. To this end he offered the services of the hospital's dietician. JB sat there and calmly said " Thank you I will loose that amount but I don't need the services of the dietician". I was flabbergasted. Later when I questioned his response he said "Darling its not rocket science its simply a matter of eating less and exercising more".............But in three months. So after a couple of days I said I would support him totally but no nagging when there was no enormous dessert etc. And he was right. I started making meals on the basis of "less quantity more quality". JB kept a note of his daily loss and I invented some great dishes. Added to that to satisfy his sweet craving I started making no sugar jellies in sturdy glasses and filled the glasses with a similar fruit/ - Raspberries I put with raspberry jelly and a whole orange in the orange jelly. The recipe is for 1 pint - 20 ounces but I make it up to 15 as I often put frozen fruit in the glass which helps it set so quickly. The fruit takes away the artificial sweetness of the jelly but it has an added bonus. I should say as we live in France (but are Scottish) and all this was done in French which is NOT easy. However a friend had problems with his knee and his French surgeon told him to eat gelatine either in the form of pig's feet or in the form of jelly (thats jello I think in USA) So double winner. So in the 3 months JB lost his weight and I lost 16lbs too. We walk most days and park the car 20 minutes from town so we have a pleasant (enforced walk) couple of times a week. So it can be done. The surgeon was so happy with him in February but in preparing for his surgery they discovered a cyst on his pancreas. This was removed in May and thankfully it was non-cancerous. So life is back to normal. We both feel so fit and continue to eat well, not a lot of meat or cheese or charcuterie but loads of veg and fruit and apart from drastic heavy lifting all is as before. JB has an appt at the end of this month for his heart op but he is looking great...........has no intention of going back to his old weight .d Sorry to have rambled on but if we can do I think most people can. Good luck and take each day at a time.
    Forgot to say I am 68 and JB is 71.
  • marialydia
    marialydia Posts: 16 Member
    Well Ecogran that is quite a story. Your point about higher quality with lesser quantity is one I am trying to follow myself. I recently retired and although I live alone am trying to cook even when I do not have someone over...and am discovering all sorts of little salads and other things that are interesting. (Grilled raddichio and grapefruit is one combination).

Good luck to all of us-- this is a good group!
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    eco...Great results and inspiring! Hope your husband is feeling proud and healthy!
  • Gillibeech
    Gillibeech Posts: 16 Member
    Hi everyone! I seem to have been on one diet or another forever! I will be 63 in a couple of weeks!
    A bit of a yo-yo dieter! But I decided last Christmas that this would be my last ditch attempt !
    So I m not ready to give in to old age just yet and I set myself little goals which I think are achievable and I have found MFP to be a really useful tool! Slow and steady and maintainable weight loss! i go to the gym five times a week to do various classes!
    You re all doing really well! Keep it up! Your all great losers!!!:flowerforyou:
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    So I m not ready to give in to old age just yet and I set myself little goals which I think are achievable and I have found MFP to be a really useful tool! Slow and steady and maintainable weight loss! i go to the gym five times a week to do various classes!
    You re all doing really well! Keep it up! Your all great losers!!!:flowerforyou:

AWESOME, **Gilli**...(hope you don't mind the nickname) :flowerforyou: I am NOT either...(ready to give into old age)...after ALL, it is a State of Mind, as well as Body!! Everyone here is working on JUST these things which is a GOOD thing :happy: We are a good group here! :drinker:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I will take my bat wings and cellulite and all the other stuff that goes with aging as long as I can see my kids and granddaughter. I would rather be flabby than dead! I am trying to lose weight and exercise so I can be around for a while not to look like something I am not. I am at peace with myself and God willing I will see my granddaughter grow up!
  • Gillibeech
    Gillibeech Posts: 16 Member
    I don't want to change who I am, i just want there to be less of me!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Hi all, I joined this group the other day but was not able to post yet til now. I believe that my first post will be in this thread :smile: . I was drawn to read it first b/c of the title of course. Wow! you all expressed so much of what I have been thinking about lately, especially after turning 63 earlier this month.
    Sometimes I feel like the saggy baggy elephant (children's story book character) because the skin don't snap back like before, but I'd rather have that than be overweight and frail. I'm joining in with you all because I also do not intend to give into "old age" either.

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    I lost 73 lbs. in 9 months I look like a sharpi dog. I don't care, the right clothes hide it. The plus is I'm no longer on any medication. I exercise everyday lift weights and feel great.
  • texasgardnr
    Well done, greattimes. I loved your word picture of the sharpi dog :happy: . Too cute. I love your positive attitude about it and finding the clothes that look nice for you! Congratulations about no longer needing medication.

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Hello ladies I am new to the group. I enjoyed reading all of your posts about aging and saggy skin...oufffff I am not the only one. I will be 66 next month and I am still struggling with this weight have been all my life. The only thing now is I am not only doing this to lose weight I am doing it now to keep healthy and keep my body functioning. I still play golf but with a motorized cart and after that have a hard time with walking and sleeping for the following 2 days but I still do it. Glad to have this group at least here we know how it is when getting a bit older .......hope you have a nice day....Diane :flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    Hi Diane! Yay you are in this group also :smile: ! I have also struggled with weight since age 6, which is when I had my tonsils removed and discovered that food can be fun.... and comforting too. Yes, I have added "healthy" to my other wise only vanity reason for loosing weight in the past.

Blessings,
    Mary :flowerforyou: