Need Answers: Synthroid Dosage Question

Options
goldiejoe
goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
I've been taking Synthroid 75ug for about three years to treat hypothyroidism. I know there are several of us on this site, since one of the effects of untreated hypo (for me, anyway) was to gain weight. I topped out at 285.

I have lost over 60 pounds now since mid-January, and counting, My question is for other Synthroid patients. Did your doctor adjust your Synthroid level after you had lost a large amount of weight? Or does the level, once established, remain constant throughout the rest of your life?

Sorry to ask such a personal question in such a public forum, but I really have no-one else to ask, and I know this supportive community will be honest and caring as always :smile:

Replies

• curvyladybumps
    curvyladybumps Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Goldiejoe!

Your synthroid dosage may remain constant throughout the rest of your life, but many times it will change. It is important that you get your thyroid levels checked once a year, and more if your doctor says so.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 3 years ago, as well, and was put on 75mcg synthroid. I lost weight, but my thyroid levels were happy so the dosage remained the same. But I recently had to change dosage levels (increase) because my thyroid levels were not where they should be. I had to wait 6 weeks before going back to get checked again. It took a few months to find the right dosage. And now that my levels are in the normal range, I go back in 3 months. Then I will get the levels checked again. Hopefully all will be well, and then I would go back in 6 months, I believe.

While we are all here to support each other, it's really important that you ask your doctor questions you have about your medication. We can share our personal experiences with you, but nothing beats the expertise of a doctor.

Best of luck!
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 7 years ago...my doctor took me off of synthroid because it did not help me...every six months my dosage was having to be adjusted to a higher dosage...my doctor switched me to Armour Thyroid and I am taking the smallest dosage available and doing well...I haven't had to have an adjustment in over a year...and I'm finally starting to lose weight. Congrats on your weight loss! Every body is different. Glad to hear that the synthroid is working for you. It is important to have bloodwork done at least once a year to be sure that you are where you need to be. :) Good lcuk.
  • tracy_phillips2002
    Options
    You should have blood work done every three months. That is the only way my endocrinologist will give me the medication, I actually have had to have my medication increased even though I have lost weight since I first started taking it in 2005. To much of the medication can cause issues with your heart and other organs, where not enough of the medication is a waste of time..