How do you get kids to eat clean?

Options
I am relatively new to this concept and believe me I do not think that I will be able to retrain my own mind as quickly as I would like as a sandwich for lunch is like a habit of a lifetime for me (yes I know I will still be able to have a sandwich, but a 'clean' sandwich is a little different to what I am used to.) I will however adapt and adjust and most likely enjoy this new way of life.

I have two daughters who as much as I like to think eat a good diet I do give them some foods sometimes that do not meet the criteria of clean eating, they both love fishfingers for example. Again I will happily adjust to making these things out of the proper homemade ingredients but I do worry that they will struggle with such a change. They can both be a little fussy at the best of times, neither for example like to eat raw vegetables unless they have something to dip it in like hummus. Maybe I am thinking too much into it but I would like to change to a healthier way of living as a family. I actually thought that we were eating quite clean, I don't have treats in the house such as biscuits, but raisins and fruit bars instead.

Does anyone who already follows this diet have any tips for getting the kids to eat a clean diet? How do you say no at birthday parties, or do you let them eat the processed crisps that are on offer? I don't buy fruit squash for my children at home yet at present I allow them to drink it at toddler group as a treat and because all the other children have it. Sorry for the ramble i'm just so confused at how to approach a proactive cleaner way of life for a whole family.

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There's a few ways that I have found work really well.

1. Grow your own vegetables. If you have limited space do a container garden. I'm a lifelong organic gardener and it sure has shaped the way I think about food. As kids we would love to spend time in the garden and eat things like string beans right off of the plant.

2. Take your kids to your local farmer's market. These are great places for kids and often have kid's activities as part of market day. It's great too since the kids get to help pick out the local meats, produce, and dairy products (and meet the farmer). Many communities are also adding winter farmer's markets too.

3. Take your kids to a pick-your-own farm. There's farms that do pick your own fruit in the summer (raspberries, blueberries, peaches, plums, strawberries) and in the fall they do pick-your-own pumpkins. The farm I have volunteered at for 13+ years even does pick-your-own potatoes, carrots, beans.

Great question! The farm I volunteer at has wonderful kid's programs and you can find any of the above (markets, pick-your own, farm activities) in your area via a web search. Even if you have to drive 45 minutes to an hour it is so worth it!!!

:)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Being the example...it takes time...looonger with some then others but sooner or later they get curious. When I was a school nurse the high schoolers would make fun of my lunch. Ha...after half a year who was constantly asking me "can I try that? What is that...can I have some?" Hmmm umph! Yeah!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Does anyone who already follows this diet have any tips for getting the kids to eat a clean diet? How do you say no at birthday parties, or do you let them eat the processed crisps that are on offer? I don't buy fruit squash for my children at home yet at present I allow them to drink it at toddler group as a treat and because all the other children have it. Sorry for the ramble i'm just so confused at how to approach a proactive cleaner way of life for a whole family.

There's no telling what kind of processed stuff is in those birthday cakes. I'd be afraid to let mine eat it. Perhaps you should fill them up with squash and baked vegetable crisps before they go so they're not tempted to eat cake.
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My family has always went with, "Eat what I put in front of you or don't eat"

I am happy to report my husband and daughter are still alive.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

This.
    I'm not a short order cook. I make one meal for the family. :wink:
  • Tanteee
    Tanteee Posts: 80 Member
    Options

This.
    I'm not a short order cook. I make one meal for the family. :wink:

I agree with this too, cook one meal, make it interesting and lead by example, children are naturally curious it will probably take time but you have to stick to it.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to Pinterest? I have found in my clean recipe searches there, there is a gold mine of clean kids meals and snack recipes.

Actually, yesterday at the market, a woman behind me asked if she could read the label of my husband's Annie's organic Mac n cheese, (I can't fully convert him, but he's getting there). She asked me what sodium phosphate and organic annatto extract (salt and color, last ingredients) were. Long story short, her eight year old daughter had just declared that she planned on eating clean from here in out and her mother was confused as to how to feed her. I'm no parent, but I told her she and her daughter should start googling foods together to find options. My point is, kids actually want a say in what they eat, so involve them as much as you can. Even if it's decorating the plate with cut up fruit to make smiley faces. :)