What are your food triggers?

Options
What causes you to veer off track and into emotional eating land?

Replies

• WritePaintDance
    WritePaintDance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My food triggers are stress at work. If I've had a rough day, my new eating lifestyle goes downhill. I go home, put on Vampire Diaries reruns and order my favorite takeout. Which is normally something unhealthy..
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,426 Member
    Options
    My food triggers are stress at work. If I've had a rough day, my new eating lifestyle goes downhill. I go home, put on Vampire Diaries reruns and order my favorite takeout. Which is normally something unhealthy..

ME TOO - except I give in at work. We have far too many treats here all the time so when the stress hits I want to walk down the hall. This week has been better for me because I've been more mindful and asking myself questions first: Am I thirsty? Is it snack time? etc. I don't keep anything bad at home except low cal ice cream so I can't really OD at home :smile:
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My trigger is stress too! And when stress sets in, depression seems to want to come around too. I was so close to my goal and then stress took control. Lost control for almost 2 years. Trying to get back on track and limiting my carb intake. I seem to do best when watch carbs vs calories. The worst time for me are evenings, before bed. Somehow I always seem to feel hungry even when I've eaten a late dinner.
  • janelleholden14
    Options
    I think I am just beginning to admit to myself that I am an emotional eater. I know that for my body frame, I should not be so heavy. I also know that years of emotional eating and unhealthy eating are finally starting to catch up to me. I don't remember ever eating fast food really in my younger 20's. Then I had two long term really horrible relationships, I'm talking physically abusive and emotionally and mentally abusive. All the while I held down a job, bore two children and continued going to school. Eating became one of the only things that made me feel good. something I could control. It's crazy to be thinking this now, but I really think I am opening some doors for myself by coming to terms with this and admitting it.
  • mkbarnes1775
    mkbarnes1775 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think that's so typical (not the abusive relationship part and for that I'm sorry!) but the stress as a trigger piece everyone is mentioning. One little thing goes wrong and I turn to food. People say things like, go for a walk and clear your head, but it feels so much better to just eat my feelings instead. We have a lot of food at work and it's so hard to resist, we also have a lot of junk at home and I have such a hard time staying away from it.
  • sdavis0419
    sdavis0419 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mine food trigger is waking up in the middle of the night and eating because I can't go back to sleep. I love sweets and it seems that if I don't eat I can't go back to sleep. I just lay there and toss and turn. I'm trying to cut out the sweets and eat something small every couple of hrs to keep me from being hungry. So far it has helped. I'm on my 5th day and feeling a little better.
  • Via_14
    Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Stress, depression, comparing myself to others, if I get scolded/an argument instead of talking back I turn to eating, thinking too much, boredom and bombardment of advertising!

32226198.png