Traveling, Working, & Keto

Options
I'm going to be working a conference for a week in October. Over those 7 days I will be walking and standing for 12-16 hours a day. I will have my fitbit on so I will know (roughly) what my TDEE and calorie adjustment should be. However, in terms of Keto I am wondering if I should add a bit more vegi-carbs that week to help with energy? Sadly good food is going to be few and far between, as I'm working at the Aria in Las Vegas, and it's pretty much impossible to go out of the hotel to get anything in a timely manner. What do you all think? How should a Paleo/Keto person prepare for such a trip?

Replies

• confused_truffle
    confused_truffle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bring nuts/seeds, nut butters, homemade trail mix.. Quest/ThinkThin bars.. whatever you'd like to have on hand. Even at weddings and get togethers I bring my own snacks.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    hmmm....I'm probably the odd duck, I don't prepare :laugh:

Since I would be eating out a lot, I just make the food choices fit my diet. This usually means diner food but can be anything deli related :wink:

It's not like you can't find meat, cheese, green veggies/salads, or other pre-made stuff that is prepared simply, but that's just me. :blushing:
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you go to a buffet or salad bar, you can get salad greens and protein. Watch out for the salad dressings - just get olive oil and vinegar if possible. You can do it!

I have a trip for a week in November, so am trying to psych myself up for that too.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm traveling out of country for about a week. Here's what I'm doing.

Nuts. I have individual portions of Netrition Nuts in a couple varieties, plus Cocoa Almonds. I also bought some Jiff individual portions. I also have Ghiradelli 86% dark chocolate squares. Also a couple of bars of Lily's Chocolate.

And my absolute essential is individual portions of Bulletproof Coffee adders (coconut oil, Kerry gold, cocoa) that I can just drop into 12 oz coffee and mix up with my travel Aerolatte.

If I have to, I can easily eat these items for breakfast and lunch, and then have a good keto dinner.
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree - individual portions of nuts,a jar of peanut butter ( almond butter has less carbs ) + a spoon ;) protein bars. You could also consider buying for example Philadelphia cheese and keeping it in your room . This way you have a selection of small " snacks" that are easy to keep track of and you won't cheat because you were so hungry and you had no choice but to eat what they give you.

When I eat out I always choose grilled meat or fish with olive oil on the side so that I can measure more or less how much that can be.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Target actually had little individual squeeze packs of a few nut butters. They were out of the almond butter, but I thought that was a really cool option. I did buy "Jiff to go" packs. They are a bit higher in carbs, but they hit the spot for me, and I figure as a travel substitute that keeps me from eating other non-plan items, they are a great option.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I had a small jar of peanut butter - it was confiscated at the airport. I was trying to bring it so I'd have something to eat during working lunches. I was so hungry by lunch today that I ate two pieces of pizza. Instead of stressing too much, I'm just going to accept that lunches are out of my control and I'll get back on track on Friday.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Seiously? Reason 5,290 that I hate TSA. How the F is that a cream or liquid???

Oh.... Wait.... Must have been CREAMy, and not chunky.

Thy didn't even blink at the Jiff to Go stuff I had. I also took bulletproof coffee mixers in little portion cups (fortunately, these are solid at room temp). Those didn't trigger anything either.

Another airport option -- Almost all airports these days have Starbucks. Starbucks has heavy cream. So in a pinch you can also get a coffee with heavy cream. Other options - Tall Starbucks Cappuccino with heavy cream is like 600 calories of straight cream. Delicious and filling! Note that that much cream (6 oz) does have some carb content. You could also compromise on calories and have the Tall Cappuccino with Half and Half - 237 calories, and 8 g carbs.
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I am really really hungry I buy one cheeseburger at McDonalds and eat the meat+ cheese but without the bun.