how many calories do you take in each day?

Options
I have been wondering how many calories do you take in daily. I found that I only lose weight when I eat not more than 1200 cal, with little exercise (treadmill 20 - 30 minutes/ day, gardening, weights 20 min 2x week,). the other threads say anything less puts us in a starvation mode and slows metabolism.How can mine get any slower?:noway: I have also found that eliminating dairy and wheat products and junky processed foods helped my weight loss. Also I started eating a seed=based cereal with coconut milk in the mornings and boy am I regular now. I used to be constipated all the time. I am amazed at the power of nutritious eating. The 1200 calories are satisfying if they're dense in protein and good carbs and fats.

Replies

• debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering how many calories do you take in daily. I found that I only lose weight when I eat not more than 1200 cal, with little exercise (treadmill 20 - 30 minutes/ day, gardening, weights 20 min 2x week,). the other threads say anything less puts us in a starvation mode and slows metabolism.How can mine get any slower?:noway: I have also found that eliminating dairy and wheat products and junky processed foods helped my weight loss. Also I started eating a seed=based cereal with coconut milk in the mornings and boy am I regular now. I used to be constipated all the time. I am amazed at the power of nutritious eating. The 1200 calories are satisfying if they're dense in protein and good carbs and fats.

Hi Susan,

I start with 1200 calories then when I exercise I try to eat the calories I burn...sometimes it does NOT happen though. That is AWESOME that you get cardio, weight training, and your gardening. That is interesting that you say eliminating dairy and wheat products helps you lose. I actually can see that cause the wheat is carbs..and of course sugar processed food is junky to me, and my nemesis. Since I am a sugarholic I need to eat as little as possible, or PLAN it into my menu. What is the seed-based cereal that you use? Well..congratulating you on your nutrition...Take care :flowerforyou: Deb :drinker:
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I combine uncooked oats, sunflower seeds, sliced almonds, flaxseeds and toast them for a few minutes in my toaster oven. then I add golden raisins to it and cinnamon for flavor. I eat about 2 heaping tablespoons of it with a scoop of chia and 1 cup of coconut milk. it is delish! I find that when I eat this in the morning, I don't crave like I used to. It is calorie dense and you can add to it practically any ingredients you want.
  • Gillibeech
    Gillibeech Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi , I started on 1500 calories but found I was mostly taking about 1200 so now I look for 1200 but don't stresss if I go over cos I know I'll still be losing! Also I go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week! I do body pump, body combat and step, Zumba, Pilates. Most days I do 2 classes, then maybe go For a swim or relax in the spa pool! My weight loss journey has not been fast or easy but I m still losing very slowly which suits me cos I am never left feeling hungry or deprived of my favourite foods!
    :drinker:
  • susanrechter
    Options
    slow and steady wins the race!
    My hubby loves the coconut milk, says its refreshing!
    I know my metabolism is really slow even when I was eating with no limit. Now that I am limiting and more active, I think my metabolism is better, I'm losing weight, but I am not certain my metabolism has changed. It may be the same and I'm just increasing activity and lowering caloric intake.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    When I'm losing and doing well I do better with the 1200 and eating back about 1/2 exercise cals. More if actually hungry. When I switched to maintenance I started to up the cals a bit but also slacked off logging as diligently not realizing how difficult maintenance would actually be and how I still needed to work it faithfully, at least in the beginning. And then life happened again, and I was surprised how quickly I reverted back to the old ways of not exercising and major stress eating. Even while losing I had been known to stress eat, sometimes even a lot, but I was able to start over the next day and just go on. But this hit hard.

Clothes are fitting tight and my tummy regained what I had taken off. I had given away all the clothes that were way too big when I lost the pounds and the whole size. Throughout my life whenever I would lose the next chunk of weight I would always give away the bigger clothes and use my new clothes getting tight as a warning bell and take the pounds back off. I have never gone back up any sizes before, and refuse to do it for the first time. Of course as I get older I realize that this is harder than it used to be.

Back in my 20s when I took off my first significant amount of weight a co worker told me about giving clothes away, and it has served me well all these years. So my warning bell has been clanging, and the other week I reset my cals back down to 1200 again and reset the weight to what it actually is again. It has been a slow start, but at least it is a start. I'm trying to get my head focused back on losing with the excitement I had in June 2012 when I joined mfp. Right now the regrets creep more often than not. Maybe writing it here will help :ohwell: .

:flowerforyou:
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am doing maintenance the last couple of months. Seems 1400-1600 is good for me. When I go over 1600 I gain. I set it at 1200 so if I go over a few hundred it is ok. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and walk some outside also. Last winter was bad for me when I was not on MFP. I gained 15 lbs so I am going to try to log good this winter and holiday season. Sees I like those fattening warm winter foods so this year I am going to go for beans and soups and stay away from ham biscuits and macaroni and cheese (trigger foods for me)
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    ................Sees I like those fattening warm winter foods so this year I am going to go for beans and soups and stay away from ham biscuits and macaroni and cheese (trigger foods for me)

Well said, brenn24179. I also need to make more soup and have things on hand that I made and like when the other foods are around tempting me. Comforting warm food can be healthy and yummy. I need to be proactive this year also.

Thanks for the wise words :flowerforyou:

Mary
  • susanrechter
    Options
    I have noticed the seniors on MFP tend to hover around 1200-1600 kcals. It's so difficult to lose and just looking at food makes me gain.
    I have been using my pedometer and trying to walk 10,000 steps a day regardless of additional workouts.
    I try to eat an apple a day.
    Stay under 1200 cals.
    Drink more water.
    Increase my fiber!
    Move and add some pep to my step.
    Good luck everyone. October is a great month to feel good and get healthy!:flowerforyou:
  • MaryInIndiana
    MaryInIndiana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this group. I have been staying within the 1200 calories each week. I have been losing 2 pounds each week. I make sure I track everything I eat, otherwise, I end up going over the 1200 calories. I have been trying different vegetables that I normally wouldn't buy, just to have something different. For example, I tried white asparagus instead of the green asparagus. I really need to add exercise into my day but with traveling for work and caring for my mom, who lives a couple of hours away from me, I haven't gotten to that point yet.

I love the name of this group. I can't say I'm sassy, (maybe others do and I don't know it) but I definitely have those stubborn pounds.
  • debilang
    Options
    WELCOME, Mary :)

CONGRATS on such a Grrreat record of losing 2 lbs a week. You are going VERY focused with all the responsibility you have. Glad you joined us...I think our name SASSIE SENIORS is a great metaphor for being STRONG in our Senior years...at least that is how I see it :happy: As with the food you are preparing, you will get around to exercise. Even doing a home workout is popular these days because many are soo busy. Please post often...and take care :flowerforyou:

Deb :heart:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Welcome MaryInIndiana to our little group. I would like to some day think that I am sassy also :tongue: , so I may as well start on it now lol.

You do have a lot on your plate right now and being busy. Add in a bit of walking in when you are able, but in the meantime you are doing great! That is awesome that you are being adventurous with your new veggies :smile: .

Mary :flowerforyou:
  • MaryInIndiana
    Options
    I have to say I'm trying to be adventurous with the veggies, but would I buy some of them again? no. :) However, I can always say I tried something new.

Thanks for the nice welcome.
  • MaryInIndiana
    Options
    I decided to try the exercise bike I have in my basement. One pedal around and wow, I am I out of shape. I don't think my knees have been doing much of anything. I think I'll do some walking and then try the bike again.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
  • debilang
    Options
    I decided to try the exercise bike I have in my basement. One pedal around and wow, I am I out of shape. I don't think my knees have been doing much of anything. I think I'll do some walking and then try the bike again.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Mary...good that you know your limitations...that is a good lesson to ALL of us Sassy Seniors :happy: :drinker:

• texasgardnr
    Options
    MaryInIndiana & Deb, So true about remembering limitations LOL. But I don't always remember that, but I do try though :laugh: .

MaryInIndiana, I don't buy again all the veggies/ fruits that I have given a try either. But the fun is in the trying :laugh: and maybe finding a keeper.
    One of my most fun times of trying something new was this summer when I went to Brazil for son's wedding and had so many fun foods and veggies/ fruits to try. I actually tried to cook one root veggie that can be found here, and it turned out a bit like I ate there, but not enough to eat very much of it. May try again, but in a much smaller quantity someday :tongue: .

:flowerforyou:
  • susanrechter
    Options
    Hi all,
    Yes, Know one's limitations. I was doing the squat challenge in July (the easy one) and after I completed it, I told my friend about it and she said, "Be real careful you don't blow out your knee!" She is so right. There were times when after I did the squats, I would climb the stairs and feel a little tweak in my knee. Its important to get the right positioning. And not rush, which I may have done...oops.
    Anyway, I don't know if I will do another challenge, we'll see.
    Keep logging!
    Keep moving!
    Drink that H2O!
    Susan
  • debilang
    Options
    Keep logging!
    Keep moving!
    Drink that H2O!
    Susan

Hi Susan :flowerforyou: ...those are definitely words to live by!! I just got back from the park and playing with my grandchildren...they are a ball of FUN...my granddaughter *loves* to play hide and see already. She is going on 21 months...wow...two years old in January! She chats sooo much, and is even making a little sense now...but she sure understands what I am telling her....and my 3 year old grandson...OMG...he was the "silent" type before he started to talk,...now he is kind of stuttering, so I've been correcting him, and telling how to say a sentence without saying..(for instance)"b..b..b..because". It is non threatening, and he will say what I ask. I ask to say "because why"...as he ALWAYS asks that question LOL...and I want to answer him. I don't know where he got this habit. He never started out talking that way. but, I don't want him to continue with it. He really does remember NOT to stutter when I am with him in the same day. He obviously knows the word, cause out of no where, he goes, "I stutter, Nanang?" My grandkids really make me work out...lol..the little one LOVES to run away from me so I can chase them...and I like going to the park we go because I can let Phoebe run off leash...paying close attention to picking up her poop...and the kids get some sun before their naps!!

MaryinIndiana,:flowerforyou: I hope your cyling in the basement is improving, as far as, getting winded. It happens when we first start out...and the improvement is from our NOT be winded say by the end of the week :) Keep up posted :happy:

MaryinTexas :flowerforyou: How WONDERFUL that you got to go to Brazil for your son's Wedding!! I enjoy the Brazilians upbeat nature...loving to party and dance....hehehe...that's me too! I have been recently introduced to Kale...and I *love* it...as there are sooo many uses...and I could make great dishes!...but the NUTRIENTS are FANTASTIC. I hope you got to check out the podcast about the Heart Attacks...HAPPY you are soooo healthy, and you are eating so that you do NOT have to take meds...you sound like you have great genes, also! I will be going up to a place located just outside our Capitol City of Sacramento called Apple Hill. I know this is the season for really sweet and crunchy apples...just like I like :)

If anyone is interested the site is: http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/jonathan-bailors-smarter-science-of-slim-podcast/

I'm just happy we are all here to post to our :heart: 's content! I am munching on broccoli right now, and it is DELICIOUS :laugh:

I hope everyone is planning a grrreat week-end. :drinker:

Deb:heart:
  • susanrechter
    Options
    Just checking in to say hi to everyone!

Deb- Your family sounds wonderful and your little grandson with his "because why" reminds me when I would do that to my parents! I got over it because I got tired of asking the same question...lol! Is your grandson on the ticker? He is adorable with his cute smile!
    Mary- I know about being out of shape...I still am, even though I go to the gym and do my treadmill here at home. Today I saw a man probably in his late 70's and he was doing the intermittent training on the elliptical...really fast, then slow...real fast, slow and stayed with it for a while. I want to do that and I need to print out a format I read in a book and follow it so I have some structure, otherwise I will mess up and then say, to heck with it!
    Texasgardener- South America! The food must have been incredible, oh and the pastries?! I would be in BIG trouble! I had a friend who went to Rio every year for Carnival. Wouldn't miss it. They speak Portuguese, is that right? It is on my list of things to do along with going to see the Grand Canyon. I have flown over it enroute to Mexico and I was spellbound. What incredible sights...like it was a set in a space movie. I want to ride a burro in the canyons and feel the atmosphere. My grandmother always wanted to see it too so I have to do that for her.

Tonight it is pleasantly cool outside so I will sleep well. I know that losing my weight has really helped me sleep better at night. Oh it is so good to get that extra weight off! It is a wonderful transition!
    I started decorating the house for Halloween. Tomorrow I have plans to return stuff at Target, grocery shop, work in the garden and start getting it ready for cold weather. I also want to clean some windows before the cold comes and that means dragging the hose around the house. I spray the windows with a Windex product that attaches to the hose and it "power" washes with a sudsy solution. It's not great but it does a decent job, especially on the high windows.
    Aloha,
    Susan
  • debilang
    Options
    Tonight it is pleasantly cool outside so I will sleep well. I know that losing my weight has really helped me sleep better at night. Oh it is so good to get that extra weight off! It is a wonderful transition!
    I started decorating the house for Halloween. Tomorrow I have plans to return stuff at Target, grocery shop, work in the garden and start getting it ready for cold weather. I also want to clean some windows before the cold comes and that means dragging the hose around the house. I spray the windows with a Windex product that attaches to the hose and it "power" washes with a sudsy solution. It's not great but it does a decent job, especially on the high windows.
    Aloha,
    Susan

Hi Susan,

WOW...I love that you decorate for Halloween. We have new neighbors, and they already have there home ready for the kiddies. I hope we get some this year... We didn't have a turn out last year :ohwell: I *still* think it is fun. I want my grandkids to have a good experience...so I will think positively. I want to go with them for a little while. My grandson is 3 years old, and the little one is 22 months...so she will be a little in awe, but, she tries everything her brother does...I am glad they are very close...soooo cute to see them say good morning to each other. :happy: I look forward to Halloween this year. It will be a great walk for my me and my granddog, too.

Wow, with your activity you surely do not have trouble with your calorie intake :bigsmile: Washing windows is a high calorie burn period...good for you. I know this post is a few days late..but I wanted to say hi back...and CONGRATULATE you for your that Awesome BURN! You DEFINITELY keep moving...and that *is* the key!

Have a wonderful Monday!

Take care :drinker:
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi to everyone again and let's keep up the good work, nice group full of friendly people