support networks?

Options
Via_14
Via_14 Posts: 992 Member
hi guys, i thought this would be a good thread to start. Last night I was told off for riding the stationary bike too much - admit i went overboard - but i thought exercise is good!

It was from family and afterwards i was very tempted to eat alot but managed to munch on small bites. Who do you guys turn to when even family can be discouraging? I guess they are sick and tired but still I'm trying my best now and that's what counts, i think. I would talk to friends but it was in the middle of the night.

MFP is a great support network but im fairly new so i feel like im posting with a no response rate most of the time...

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,426 Member
    Options
    Family can sometimes be very unsupportive. I think you just need to tell them to mind their own business and keep doing what you enjoy. Here's what I think is likely going on...they don't want you to change because it means there is something wrong with them too! I'm sure this is all unconscious - so don't get too frustrated with them! :smile:
  • mkbarnes1775
    mkbarnes1775 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Family really can be some of the most unsupportive as crazy as that is. My mom is half the reason I have such an unhealthy relationship with food.

I've found a friend here at work who is working towards the same food and exercise goals, she has been a world of support. We go to the gym at lunch and we talk food and lifestyle changes, it's really nice to have someone to lean on. Is there maybe someone around like that you could talk to?
  • Via_14
    Options
    Family can sometimes be very unsupportive. I think you just need to tell them to mind their own business and keep doing what you enjoy. Here's what I think is likely going on...they don't want you to change because it means there is something wrong with them too! I'm sure this is all unconscious - so don't get too frustrated with them! :smile:

The thing is my family has been very supportive for the past decade it's just now they are kind of tired of my lack of will power and excessive weight gains so I can't blame them.. but still it was pretty upsetting that night to be told off for doing the right thing i.e. exercising.

Yea my mum is always poking fun and analysing everything i do but i guess that's mums for you. Yes fortunately my brother recently got married and my sister-in-law who i have known for 7 years is the one who got me started on this again. So I do have her now to talk to and lean on =)
  • mkbarnes1775
    mkbarnes1775 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have someone to lean on, it really helps!
  • Via_14
    Options
    Thanks! I'm also really glad lol.

I've never had a family member who was female and who I could share this topic with so it's great now that I do.