Not sure what to do

Options
DesireeNL
DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
Hey all,

So I started C25K 2 months ago, running 2-3 times a week and just finished week 7. A month ago I signed up for a 5k, thinking I could do it as that's what I was training for. I didn't mind having to take walking breaks during the race if that would be necessary. I didn't expect to run the entire track.

I have been training regularly and the first couple of weeks I did notice I had increased my physical fitness quite a bit. But the last few weeks I don't feel like I'm making any improvements. I run 12-15 minutes and I'm absolutely beat. basically since W6D3 running has been extremely hard. I constantly feel like I just can't catch my breath, even while I'm going super slow.

The 5k was today (actually a 4.6k) and it was TOUGH. I run on pavements and roads with little incline and the 5k turned out to be a trail over uneven ground with quite a bit of incline. That said, I knew it was going to be tough, but I didn't think it was going to be THAT bad. I came in last, but that's not what's bothering me. I just thought I was in better shape physically. I saw people there of all ages and all sizes and they all did better than me. I've dropped 45lbs so I know how hard it is to move around with extra weight. I'm at a healthy weight now and I just can't believe my fitness is that bad. I'm baffled.

During the run I paced myself, taking it slow. My HR was up around 190 the entire time, I could barely catch my breath. Even while walking my HR wouldn't go down. A woman was talking to me and I managed to utter 2 words and then just had to stop because I was completely out of breath.

So, I am wondering what to do now. How do I increase my stamina? Should I go back in the program and do more interval training? Or should I keep going with W8 and W9? I know the advice is to take it slow and I'm doing that. Still my HR goes up so high and I'm out of breath soon. The 'being able to talk' thing is impossible for me.

Any advice from the experts?

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I'll put in my two cents.

Go back to where you were comfortable and redo that week, move on to another week when you're still a little challenged but not struggling like today. Some people have to do the weeks for two weeks each before moving on.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you should check with your doctor. I had more trouble with my breathing in the beginning, but by the time I was in week 6 I could control my breathing a lot better. It kind of worries me that your HR didn't go down while walking. That aside, it really is difficult when you train on a flat surface and then race on an uneven surface. That happened to me on my first race, there was a hill right at the beginning and I never did get my breathing back on track during the whole thing. I know you are taking it slow, but try to go even slower. I literally would almost just jog in place moving forward very slowly. I agree with Cheryl, go back to the place where you are most comfortable and start again from there. Don't give up, you can do this!
  • DesireeNL
    Options
    Thanks for the input ladies!

My HR does go down during the walking intervals on my regular runs, it goes down to around 150-ish pretty quickly. But it goes up to the 180s quickly as well and I just never seem to be able to catch my breath. As said, talking while jogging is impossible.

On my hikes my average HR dropped from about 150-160 to 125 since I started running. So I know I've made a big improvement. But still. Maybe I'm just in denial about my physical fitness. I'm only 32 and at a healthy weight. I wanted to say I ran like a 70-yr old, but they actually outran me! lol But sheesh, is it really possible to be in such bad shape?? I just didn't expect it to be this bad.

I think I'm going back to week 4 and take it from there.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma. That could be your challenge. I'd definitely get checked out by a doctor. This seems like a physical issue - Week 6/7 can be tough but you SHOULD be seeing real gains.
  • DesireeNL
    Options
    Thank you vardaeml! I looked up the symptoms and it basically sums it all up, the tight feeling in the chest, shortness of breath and unusual fatigue during exercise. I'm definitely going to make an appointment to get it checked out.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thank you vardaeml! I looked up the symptoms and it basically sums it all up, the tight feeling in the chest, shortness of breath and unusual fatigue during exercise. I'm definitely going to make an appointment to get it checked out.

Having it treated changed my life.
  • DesireeNL
    Options
    Did you get an inhaler or other medication? And did you immediately notice a difference?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Did you get an inhaler or other medication? And did you immediately notice a difference?

I got an albuterol inhaler, and then eventually got put on Advair, which is a maintenance drug. Yes, there was an immediate difference.
  • DesireeNL
    Options
    Alright, thanks :smile: It's good to know there's an immediate difference, so if that isn't it, it can be ruled out quickly.