Dry itchy peeling hands

Options
366to266
366to266 Posts: 473 Member
I notice that since starting on keto my hands are constantly red, itchy and peeling. Of course it might not be the change of diet but I haven't changed soap or detergent or moved house or got a pet or anything else like that. The diet is the one thing I changed.

I would have thought that eating all this oily fish, fatty meats, oil, butter etc would make my skin oily, but it's just so dry, scaly and itchy all the time, especially when I am in bed and my hands are under the duvet.

I'm having to apply E45 or itch cream or cocoa butter ten times a day!

I just wondered if anyone else has suffered this?

Replies

• TPlenge
    TPlenge Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced any skin changes, but I've only been doing Keto since late July. Maybe you have a food intolerance to something you are eating?
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced any skin changes, but I've only been doing Keto since late July. Maybe you have a food intolerance to something you are eating?

Crikey it could be anything :-(

I just took a week off the diet (was abroad) and just ate a "normal" diet, and now it's worse than ever!
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I notice that since starting on keto my hands are constantly red, itchy and peeling. Of course it might not be the change of diet but I haven't changed soap or detergent or moved house or got a pet or anything else like that. The diet is the one thing I changed.

I would have thought that eating all this oily fish, fatty meats, oil, butter etc would make my skin oily, but it's just so dry, scaly and itchy all the time, especially when I am in bed and my hands are under the duvet.

I'm having to apply E45 or itch cream or cocoa butter ten times a day!

I just wondered if anyone else has suffered this?

Maybe you've just coincidentally become sensitive to something in your environment like soap, shampoo, hair styling products, etc. Even though you may not have changed brands, whatever you're using has changed ingredients.

It hasn't happened to my hands & it was before I started keto, but like overnight I became very sensitive to soaps & shampoos - but it only affected me from the neck up! I never had any kind of skin allergies but now I'm very picky about what I put on my scalp, face and neck.

Since it's just your hands, I would think it's not diet (unless there's some foods that are irritating your skin during prep). I also read it could be stress induced.

I hope you get to the bottom of what's causing this issue.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    you are probably getting sensitive

it wasnt until about a year ago, i've only started getting ulcers from toothpastes containing SLS, and drying hands from washing with body washes which have it.

check the ingredients in your gels