Injured?

Options
redredy9
redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
So this is super annoying - I am currently side-lined and not sure if I should be or if I can safely run.

I am training for ING NYC which will be my third marathon (in just under 365 days) and Saturday before last (9/14) I ran my first 18 miler of this training cycle. It went pretty well. I didn't love every minute of it but it didn't hurt and was over before I knew it. I ran at MGP + :28 seconds (right on target). I stretched afterwards and felt good.

But instead of resting like a normal intelligent person I ran around grocery shopping (no car), doing laundry (laundry mat a block away and 3 flights of stairs), scrubbign my bathroom and cleaning my entire apartment before going to the airport (on foot and subway) to pick up my dad. By 4:00 p.m. there was clearly something wrong with my left foot.

Sunday I woke up and was limping. It really hurt until last Wednesday and is still bothering me a little. I skipped my scheduled 16 miler this past Saturday and have worn nothing but running shoes since I started feeling the pain.

Now its only noticible sometimes - like today when i tried to wear flats (only while at work - not even during commute). Its so annoying!

I have doctors appointment on Wednesday (first available) but I also have a group training run tomorrow. I haven't run at all since hurting my foot 9 days ago and I am getting antsy! I have a marathon in less than 2 months.

Am I being overly cautious if foot only hurts a little now and is feeling so much better?

Sorry for the rant. I really needed to vent. :explode:

Replies

• pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Could it be plantar fascitis? Does it hurt under the heel or in your arch? I developed this during my marathon training runs and didn't recognize it. I knew my foot hurt more than they should, but just blew it off. Then - my first training run after the marathon, I took one step too hard on the sidewalk and tore it. It hurt so bad that I thought I'd broken my heel. I couldn't walk on it for several weeks and have not been able to run (or wear heels) for over two months. It seems mostly healed now, but it still hurts if I lift something too heavy.

Based on my own experience, I'd skip the training run and see your doctor first - especially if it's been hurting for nine days. If you need extra support on your foot during the day, KT tape could help. I got a lot of relief from it. There are tutorials on the internet that show how to put it on.

edited to add: I'd defintely hold off on the running until after the doctor, as another possibility is a stress fracture....and you don't want to prove that the hard way during a training run!
  • redredy9
    Options
    Doctor gave me the OK to run but suggested some stretches, new orthotics $$$, new shoes $$ and a night boot $$.

Boo. But YAY to getting back to running.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    that's great news! I hope the foot is feeling better.

Good luck on your marathon training!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    So... plantar fasciitis? Sounds like you're on the right treatment schedule. Make sure you do exercises in addition to stretches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kStuJAu0a20
  • redredy9
    Options
    Thanks guys!

It was really frustrating not to be able to run while I waited for the OK from the doctor but I went out for a slow loop of my local park last night with my dog and it was fabulous!

Whoo hoo! RUNNING!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If it's PF I'd try some Hokas and KT tape. Even if it's not PF, I would try the Hokas. I stumbled on to them (so to speak) when I injured my foot preparing for my first marathon in March. I started reading about foot injuries (mine was not PF) and Hokas kept getting mentioned over and over again (mostly in cases of PF.)

Having been squarely in the minimalist camp, it was a struggle to contemplate a super-cushioned pair of shoes. However they are neutral in terms of drop, and saved my feet. I've met trail runners who have transitioned from VFF's to Hokas and will never go back.

There are plenty of reviews on Zappos for the shoe, and here's a recent blog post:

http://networkedblogs.com/OQiAP

Interesting to note that there is a trend toward "maximalist"- type shoes for 2014, with New Balance, Altra, Vasque, Brooks, and Adidas all bringing out Hoka-like running shoes.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery!
  • redredy9
    Options
    Thanks! I've never heard of Hokas but just read a few reviews. I just ordered a new pair of shoes though and should be getting them tomorrow. Boot has been ordered and should arrive soon too.

Update on progress: I ran 19 this weekend and it was rough. I was really sore at the end but my foot actually held up quite well! Most of the soreness was in my knees and legs and it was just the usual "just ran super far" not "oh what did I do?!?!?" variety of soreness.

My recovery run yesterday helped shake of a lot of the residual soreness so today I am feeling pretty good! Whew!