Road vs. Tri bike?

Options
2»

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    The tri bike on group rides issue is only an issue if you go on group rides.

Which the OP said they wanted to do.

So for the OP it is an issue.
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    Yes, I have a friend who is really into cycling and would love to join her on some rides. I do not live in a neighborhood that is easy to ride more than ~8 miles in without just doing really short loops around the same areas, so to increase my distance for long rides I need to drive somewhere else. I feel a little bit safer having a group along with me. I have never rode on anything other than a hybrid bike in my life and used to fall down all the time as a kid and young adult. I've been a bit scared about making the transition to a faster bike, but need to get over that. I ended up getting a road bike over the weekend. I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions and I've actually learned a lot from you. Maybe in a year or two I can add a tri bike to my collection. I just got my new shoes and pedals (never rode a bike with these before) and I am going out tomorrow evening to practice in a safe area. I am not the most coordinated person in the world, so keep your fingers crossed for me!
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a friend who is really into cycling and would love to join her on some rides. I do not live in a neighborhood that is easy to ride more than ~8 miles in without just doing really short loops around the same areas, so to increase my distance for long rides I need to drive somewhere else. I feel a little bit safer having a group along with me. I have never rode on anything other than a hybrid bike in my life and used to fall down all the time as a kid and young adult. I've been a bit scared about making the transition to a faster bike, but need to get over that. I ended up getting a road bike over the weekend. I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions and I've actually learned a lot from you. Maybe in a year or two I can add a tri bike to my collection. I just got my new shoes and pedals (never rode a bike with these before) and I am going out tomorrow evening to practice in a safe area. I am not the most coordinated person in the world, so keep your fingers crossed for me!
    Good luck!!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

You can't group ride on a tri bike? WRONG!!! Anybody who says or thinks this doesn't know what he/she's talking about.
    Don't get your tri shorts in a bunch. Actually, most roadie clubs won't allow tri bikes on their group rides so you're not entirely right either.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    This is me in May 2010 - First year of multisport. What I'm riding is a 2003 Rocky Mountain Metro - hybrid. I swapped the flat bar for a aero bar setup I picked up used for $80. I swapped the tires to 700x28c Gatorskins on the original 32 spoke heavy wheels. The bike weighed in at 27.5 lbs in "race" trim. My race mountain bike weighs a little less than that..lol
    asi1.jpg

On this 30 km (18.6 mile) rolling course with a few good climbs, I averaged 20.5 MPH.

At my next race a month later, another 30 km bike course, but this time fairly flat but I did have to turn around close to the end because my Garmin popped out of the quick release and had to go pick it up...I still managed an average speed of 21.6 MPH.
    This is the race coming into transition - look at those quads..lol
    dsc00713_small.jpg

Again, the engine is worth more than the equipment.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with a good engine trumps all. That said have the right tools for the job, and a hybrid ain't it. Buy a road or tri bike that is most importantly FIT CORRECTLY. A correctly fit bike will allow you to make the most efficient use of energy and it will hide you from the wind. Thus it sets you up to run better than an ill fitted bike would and it cuts down on drag.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options

You can't group ride on a tri bike? WRONG!!! Anybody who says or thinks this doesn't know what he/she's talking about.
    Don't get your tri shorts in a bunch. Actually, most roadie clubs won't allow tri bikes on their group rides so you're not entirely right either.

A rather annoying comment.

Who says she said "Roadie clubs"? She didn't. There are TONS of groups out there doing rides that aren't "roadie clubs". Maybe you should pay more attention to what's said, vs/ what you infer.

I stand by my point. You do not need a road bike to go on group rides. Get the bike you want, to do the job you want. From there, it's pretty easy to find like minded people to ride with. It's as simple as that.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

A rather annoying comment.

Who says she said "Roadie clubs"? She didn't. There are TONS of groups out there doing rides that aren't "roadie clubs". Maybe you should pay more attention to what's said, vs/ what you infer.

I stand by my point. You do not need a road bike to go on group rides. Get the bike you want, to do the job you want. From there, it's pretty easy to find like minded people to ride with. It's as simple as that.

Maybe you should quit being such an *kitten* maybe that's not your intention but you are
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I live in a large metro area (well, actually suburb type area) and have found a difference between the bike shops - in their recs, but more importantly to some of the comments I've been following in this thread - re: whether tri bikes are welcome on group rides.

The one closest to me (local bike store chain) mainly focuses on road/mountain type bikes. They were discouraging me from any type of aero bars, saying they are not safe as add-ons, etc. That I couldn't use aero bars on group rides. They do not carry tri bikes in the shop, but will order them in. They won't come out and SAY they don't do tri bikes (they'd love to sell me one!), but I wasn't feeling like they really knew tri stuff. I've really liked these guys when they have tuned my bike, etc.

There is another shop 10 miles away that I finally made it to today. They are a private/truly local shop with two store fronts. I went on recommendation of someone I know. This shop is a tri shop. They carry tri bikes (and rent wet suits). They are the bike support for the local HIM as well as other local tris. They also do group rides every week (some century rides, too), and half the people in the advanced group ride on tri bikes. I will probably be joining them in the Spring, or whenever my doctor clears me to ride. The person I know rides in the advanced group. (He doesn't do tris, but races mountain/cross/road.) I plan to start with the beginning group to get ride experience/etiquette/knowledge, but that guy and the shop owner said I will be moving to the advanced group pretty quickly with my speed (I laugh at that, although the beginner group top speed is where I was on my own).

So I went in to look at the Felt AR, thinking of getting it changed out with tri parts, but he discouraged me from a tri bike for now. There is a new 2014 (with some pink, which I wanted!!) that will be coming in very soon. I can't remember which model, but I will be going back in the next week to get some shoes (had to leave to pick up my kids). He said that with the type of hills and roads we have here (including that HIM I have my eyes on), a road bike is what I need now (though probably 98% of participants use tri bikes for the actual race). He suggested to get the road bike and then turn it into my off-season training/rain bike if/when I eventually get a tri bike. I will likely get the aero bars put on because I also need them medically due to my wrist surgery. Disagreeing with the other shop, he said the aero bars were no different safety-wise than riding in the drops b/c either position requires you to move to get to your brakes. I told him right up front that I might have a lead on a used Felt. He was so non-pressure and willing to share lots of info anyway (and I've heard that about them). They have Cervelos and some others, but he said for the training bike, Felt was probably the way to go (cheaper, but still a good product), and to save the money to spend towards a tri bike later.

Anyway, I'm just putting my experience so far out there for other newbies like me, and welcome input from more seasoned competitors.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I forgot - with the tri shop, they partner with a physical therapist who does a bike fit (comes with the purchase) that will take 2-3 hours. They have a seat program where you trade out for a loaner seat and ride several hundred miles on it until you find the right seat. And there is lifetime maintenance. The other local shop offers none of that, and will sell me a bike for the same prices.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    To clarify - He said not to bother with the aero model of the road bikes, but to save the extra money one of those would cost towards the purchase of a future tri bike. So I will get a road model version. I'm going to talk with my doctor and hand therapist about the aero bars and bike in general (both ride/race) before I get the bike, though.

Anyway, it seems silly to spend that kind of extra money on an aero frame when I've got at least another 15 pounds of wind resistance that I'd like to lose.