Exercise- how much

Options
Hi everyone hope you have all have a great start to the weekend!

I was just wondering how much exercise you have found is necessary for significant results? I currently weight 148Ibs and want to get to around 120. (Ideally 110 but that is a very long term goal!) i was eating a low fat diet with an even fat/carb split. I workout for 1.5 hours - 2 hours 5 x a week and my results are very slow. I saw one girl have incredible success and she said she barely worked out at all to begin with and now does one hour of cardio 2-3times a week. I'm not saying I want to use this diet as an excuse to be lazy! I actually find daily workouts are a bit of a stress reliever. But do you think I could get away with 1hr cardio and maybe 15-20minutes stretching and weights rather than pushing it to two hours most days?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Exercise for fitness, Nutrition for weight loss.

My personal opinion is that you do not need to exercise to be successful.

You have to decide what the goal is.
    If the goal is exclusively to lose weight, not exercising may actually be faster.
    If the goal is to lose body fat while becoming fit, then do exercise - but you will probably see slower losses.

So I just took a look at your diary. Hon - you are seriously undereating. For the amount of exercise you say you are doing, you are not eating nearly enough. When you consistently eat under calories, eventually your body says "hey! it's a famine! let's slow down non-essential systems so we can conserve energy and survive the famine". A day here or there isn't a big deal, but when it becomes a habit, it does impact your metabolism.

Have you used the keto calculator to identify target levels? http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

The calculator includes a calculation for your BMR. You should ALWAYS eat above your BMR. When you don't that's when you start impacting your metabolic rate.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    To lose, I ate at my BMR plus exercise. Lost it fast that way, although it's not so healthy to do so. I also am very into core/weights rather than cardio. Cardio is for extra cals to eat.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Exercise for fitness, Nutrition for weight loss.

My personal opinion is that you do not need to exercise to be successful.

You have to decide what the goal is.
    If the goal is exclusively to lose weight, not exercising may actually be faster.
    If the goal is to lose body fat while becoming fit, then do exercise - but you will probably see slower losses.

So I just took a look at your diary. Hon - you are seriously undereating. For the amount of exercise you say you are doing, you are not eating nearly enough. When you consistently eat under calories, eventually your body says "hey! it's a famine! let's slow down non-essential systems so we can conserve energy and survive the famine". A day here or there isn't a big deal, but when it becomes a habit, it does impact your metabolism.

Have you used the keto calculator to identify target levels? http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

The calculator includes a calculation for your BMR. You should ALWAYS eat above your BMR. When you don't that's when you start impacting your metabolic rate.

Some one knows what they are talking about which makes a pleasant change on here !
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise right now and have seen far better results (on the scale) than when I exercised 4-5 days a week. My plan is to add back weight training once I'm at a more acceptable BF%, and I can accept some scale-weight gains. I don't feel like I have any muscle wasting, and I'm losing fat at a steady rate. That's the beauty of keto.....once your body's trained to burn fat, that's what it will choose over breaking down muscle. And plenty of studies have shown that steady-state cardio does little more than stress your body and make you hungrier, which makes dieting even more miserable. Even 1 hour a day is, in my opinion, too much.

If you want to get your heart rate up, try max 30 mins of HIIT 3 days a week along with some weight training. But be prepared for slower results than you would see if you weren't working out. Exercise stresses your body and causes your muscles to retain water, which increases your scale weight.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    bump