How to Determine a Training Schedule?

Options
So, I signed up for a nine week running clinic. I got my package, and I was looking through it last night after our first run. I was wondering if anyone knew the reasoning/science behind training schedules, simply because I want to know and understand how this works.

I notice that they push you by an extra few minutes at the beginning of the week, then the second run is a few minutes less. The third run is less time than the second, but then the fourth picks up back to the length of the first run.

I've noticed that the Runner's World training calendar thing does the same thing, as well as the McMillan calculator.

Is it simply letting your body rest after its initial exertion? I really want to know how/why it works like this.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Can you post a link to what you are refering to? I think you might be refering to the long runs, which usually happen on Sundays in most schedules and are actually the end of the week, not the begining. Most training schedules hold their actual weeks to begin on Mondays.
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    Thanks for responding, rduhlir. :)

These tend to be at the beginning too. So, this is a nine week beginner's running clinic. I'm in the advanced group which is for getting you to 10k and improving 5k pace. Here's my schedule:

D = Day, W = Walk, R = Run, XT = Cross Train

Week One:

D1: W1R25
    D2: W1R25
    D3: W1R25

Week Two:

D1: W2R28
    D2: W1R25
    D3: W2R28

Week Three:

D1: W2R32
    D2: W2R26
    D3: W2R20
    D4: W2R32

Week Four:

D1: W2R36
    D2: W2R27
    D3: W2R20/XT
    D4: W2R36

Week Five:

D1: W2R38
    D2: W2R28
    D3: W2R22/XT
    D4: W2R38

And so forth.
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    Oh, and runs are on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. On the Weeks with four runs add in Thursdays.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    That actually looks like a sound program. I think you are refering to the 20 minute runs with your question. It is typical for a training program to have an easy run such as the 20 minute one. Especially when you add a new day in. Weekly mileage can cause injury just as daily mileage can, and if you add it up they are keeping to the 10% weekly increase.
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    Ah, so it is recommended to increase time/distance by 10%? I didn't know that. See? I'm learning. :)

I'm just thinking aloud here and asking questions, because I truly want to know the reasoning behind this. I did C25K, and I can run for an extended period of time without falling over, so now I want to learn the science and technical aspects behind it all. I really want to get into this seriously. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction for reading material?

So, essentially, they start you off where they want to bring you, then we ease back a bit so muscles don't get fatigued, and then bring you back up. This helps to condition your body gradually?
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Yeah, the 10% thing is kind of the basics behind all training program increases. Whether it is miles or time, each program differs on that account. But a general rule is always 10%.

With the runs, your bread and butter runs right now are your long distance, which are your 30+ minute runs. The short runs are sort of an active recovery, they are meant to be run super, super slow; where your longer runs might end up being a combination of hills/sprints/intervals/fartleks/etc...

For example, this coming up week will be this (as per my program, I add in lifting on mon/wed/fri on top of this):
    Mon: Rest
    Tues: 5 miles
    Wed: 3 miles
    Thurs: 5 miles
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 10 miles
    Sun: Rest

There is a wealth of information on coolrunnings.com and Runner's World.
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    Thanks. :)