Sugar and bunion

Options
jen_zz
jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
Anyone here has bunions and/or bunionettes? I have them on my right foot, and slightly less severe on my left foot.

Everyone says it's from wearing heels and pointy shoes but I don't wear 'em!

I do belief in traditional Chinese medical theories, and according to some, excess sugar causes "dampness" which could develop into bunions. Here are two articles:

balance-holistics.blogspot.com/2009/04/bunions-from-reflexology-point-of-view.html

http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=28075

Just wondering if anyone has gone on a low carb diet and has seen improvements..

Replies

• nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I used to be very sick and went to a terrific Chinese medicine doc. He said I had "dampness" and based off of reading my tongue, I had digestive issues too. I did everything he offered to "cure" it. Even drank a terrible tasting customized "tea" he would prepare from various herbs. I also ate sugar for years like it was another food group. I don't have or have ever had bunions. I do, however, have high arches and live in roomy sneakers or nursing shoes. (BTW, I never got better. I ended up going to a GI doc and found out I have Celiac disease. No Chinese medicine would have cured that, but the cupping therapy felt awesome!! )

Bunions are caused by genetics, bio-mechanical and/or structural issues. Shoes don't need to be pointed. If you walk with a pronation, it puts stress on your 1st metatarsal which leads to stretching of tissue, tendons, ligaments and eventually, your great toe starts saying hello to your second toe. :wink:

So, in my opinion, sugar =bunion, is bunk.
  • jen_zz
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I agree it's probably more about genetics. My parents both have bunions, although not severe. Are you feeling better now?
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Gotta love the parents for passing on the not so pretty traits, lol! :laugh: I got my dad's looooong, ape-like toes :sad:

Since going gluten free, I feel terrific! All my aliments I went to the Chinese doc for are now gone. It still blow my mind that one type of food I was eating, was destroying my body!
  • jen_zz
    Options
    bump..
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I have bunions and use to wear high pointy shoes. Low carb did not improve the situation. I wish.
  • jobu1
    jobu1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have severe bunions on both feet and need corrective surgery. I've had them as long as I can remember. I do not wear pointy shoes or high heels. I definitely agree with the others... sugar does not cause bunions.